Gloss Door to Satinwood (paint scratching off)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My doors were been painted with cream gloss paint by previous owners. The original factory was brown doors.

However, I had been reluctant to re-paint the doors, as the original was such a good job and they did n't have any brush mark and very smooth finish. Almost factory finish.

A couple of years ago, I decide to finally re-paint the door, as looking tired. I was worried about leaving brush marks. I decided against using oil paint.

I hand sanded the gloss paint layer to provide a key and painted using Dulux Satinwood (the water based one). (They had another one with oil).

However, I have managed to graze the door and the pain layer has come off. The original paint layer can be see underneath.

I don't remember if I used undercoat.... I did whatever the Dulux guy recommended to me....

Are these new Satinwood paints like that?

View media item 103061

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’ve never had much luck with water based satin paints.

I had a similar problem with glossed door frames. Eventually I used some oil based satin my dad had in his shed. It looks as good as the day it went on 2 years ago.

I’m no professional painter, it’s just my experience with these satin paints.

:)

With respect, how much of a sanding did you give these doors?

Does the old oil-based cream gloss that you have revealed feel shiny or 'flat'?

It may have been better to have sanded the old paint, then applied an oil-based undercoat, then the water-based.

Water-based paint over oil-based gloss is always going to be a concern unless thorough rubbing down is done.

Some of these water-based paints used on the wood in the home sometimes feel soft and almost slightly sticky, and you just know you could pick at it with your fingernails.

I think you're more likely to get brushmarks more with water-based than you would with oil-based, IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back