Internal insulation to solid wall flat with concrete floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is a little repetition of previous topics, but my situation is a little different to all the others I'm reading about, and I understand that it's a hot topic at the moment with new 'best-practice' advice all over the web.

I'm living in an upstairs flat (typical Central-Scotland 4-in-a-block ex-LA stock) in a 1930s building that has solid brick walls and a concrete floor. The roof was originally flat, but has had a pitched roof put over the top so no chance to access for loft insulation although I have had a look and found some mineral wool insulation above the plasterboard ceiling.

My issue is that, as well as losing a lot of heat through the single glazing (aiming to replace this coming year when finances allow) the external walls are always really cold. There's a bit of mould in a cupboard above the stairwell but this and the stairwell are unheated and the cupboard has no ventilation so I think that's more of a problem than any horrible issue with the walls.

My thinking is to use a composite plasterboard/insulating board with vapour check, applied directly to the wall (too small a flat to even consider a stud wall) but am nervous of giving moisture a home. Advice seems to be ribbons of adhesives and some mechanical fixings to lock in the air and prevent the moist, warm air from reaching the cool brick surface of the wall. With concrete floors and skirtings (yes, seriously!) can I apply the board right down to floor level and just run a mastic seal all around the boards to protect against moisture ingress? Any advice on materials and suppliers?

Also, if applying a thermal board directly to the wall, how far back do I need to strip the wall? Wallpaper will obviously need to go but is it advisable to take the plaster off and go back to brick? In the kitchen there's some dreaded artex behind timber panelling - ideally it would be nice to just stick insulated boarding over the top of the artex and pretend it never happened!

Final point of concern is the mechanical fixings, if required - what does one use that stops you introducing lots of little thermal bridges? I'm also wondering about what to do if I want to put up shelving or cupboards - surely drilling out for a wall plug is going to create a thermal bridge as well?

Apologies for the length of the post - I'm just keen to save everyone repeating themselves having spent a few days reading over similar posts in the forum.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back