insulate or stud walls first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm converting my garage into a self contained annexe/granny flat and am looking for some advice on what order to do things.

I need to build a few stud walls for the bathroom and a large cupboard, but want to know whether I should do that before or after insulating.

On the floor I'll have about 100mm of kingspan (or similar), followed by chipboard and then engineered wood.

And on the walls I'm going to use insulated plasterboard over battens. On the pitched roof I'm insulating between and over the rafters.

So my question is do I put in the stud wall before or after I insulate the walls, floor and roof. It would be easier to do it first, but wondered whether this would risk creating cold spots/thermal bridging.

Also, at what point should I get the sparky and plumber for the first fix? After battening but before the insulated plasterboard?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Why batten walls,?my insulated plasterboard is simply stuck to internal block work.

I thought battening because it would create a void for services. And because I want something to fix kitchen cabinets to.

Any thoughts on the sequencing point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back