first fix - what order?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a two storey extension built and we are on the first fix stage. Downstairs is one big room, upstairs will be split into two bedrooms, an ensuite and a hallway. The upstairs is partly in the roof with sloped ceilings which will have insulated plasterboard on the rafters.

My question is how to tackle the order of doing things?

We need to:

Plasterboard ceiling downstairs
Run cables
Run plumbing
Insulate 1st floor void
Floorboard upstairs
Build stud walls
Insulated the sloping roof

I am wondering at what stage to do the stud walls? Is it easier to do this while the joists and rafters are still visible? We have celotex between the rafters but don’t know if there will be any thermal bridge issues by only using the insulated plasterboard in the rooms and work around the stud walls?

I know we can plough on and guess but sometimes it’s worth checking first and saving a bit of time!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We always fit stud walls once floor boards are in place, whilst fixing any nogg's or double joists prior to boarding the floor.

The ceilings however we leave down for other services i.e. plumb and leccy. But we do fix and trap in the ceiling boards at the position where the stud walls are abutting the ceiling as it saves cutting and faffing about with 'board end catchers' later on.

Like the floor, we do make provision for nogg's etc whereby the stud wall is located between and parallel to the ceiling joists, prior to fixing any ceiling boards.

Thanks - that's useful to know.

As you only fit the studs after the floor has gone down, does all the electricty for upstairs sockets run from the ceiling down the walls?

We were thinking that the cables (apart from the lights of course) would be run through the floor joists and then come up the wall, therefore needing the chipboard to be installed afterwards?

Apologies for the very newbie question but I like to make sure!

What do you use to fix insulated plasterboard to a masonery wall? We are going to glue them but also want a fixing in place but not sure if screws cause a thermal bridge.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - that's useful to know.

As you only fit the studs after the floor has gone down, does all the electricty for upstairs sockets run from the ceiling down the walls?

We were thinking that the cables (apart from the lights of course) would be run through the floor joists and then come up the wall, therefore needing the chipboard to be installed afterwards?

Apologies for the very newbie question but I like to make sure!

What do you use to fix insulated plasterboard to a masonery wall? We are going to glue them but also want a fixing in place but not sure if screws cause a thermal bridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back