Internal lock in a mortice door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm a beginner at DIY and I want to fit a lock and new door handle to three wooden internal doors. So I apologise if I'm not using the right terminology.

I've found some good videos and instructions, so I'm reasonably confident that I can do it.

What I'm worried about is picking the correct products as there is so much variety.

Our doors are only 3cm thick. I've been looking at some mortice locks and they seem to be at least 22mm wide (or thick/deep I suppose) which doesn't leave a massive margin for error. If I try to fit a mortice lock am I just going to split the wood and ruin the door?

Also the existing door handles we have, the back plate is 10.8cm long and 3.9cm wide, but most of the door handles I've looked at seem to be longer.

My other option is to get new door handles and fit a lock separately, somehow.

Can anyone advise me?

Sponsored Links
22mm might be the width of the front plate. The body of the lock, and the mortice it fits into may be narrower. For example this one is 14.5mm thick.
http://docs.ironcdn.co/drawings/402879.jpg
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...tches/1234/union_2277_3_lever_sashlock/402879

You will probably want sashlocks, which incorporate a deadlock plus a latch.

3 lever locks are adequate for bathrooms and bedrooms, and may be thinner than 5-lever locks which are more secure, provided they are fitted to a substantial door.

If your doors are hollow, they are only suitable for keeping draughts out.

Thank you for that JohnD

I will look at those links you suggested.

It's for very nominal security only, I want to be able to lock the door from outside the room.

We had visitors, just during the day, recently and I realised after they'd gone that they'd taken the time while visiting the loo to have a good rummage around our bedrooms.

I felt pretty violated. :( It's put me off having visitors.

I appreciate that if guests turn up with their own screwdrivers and hammers that locks won't help much but I'm hoping no-one is that cheeky! :D :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back