Composite door blank furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Please excuse the really dumb questions, but I've got myself mightily confused by all this. I have a rental property, which my builder is currently in the process of refurbing. The front door is a fairly old timber door, which has a top light, which I want to replace.

In order to keep costs down, I've bought a "blank" composite door, which will be fitted to the existing timber frame, but I'm struggling to work out what furniture I'd need. I don't really want to go to the hassle and expense of fitting a multi-point lock, so I think I'd need both a mortice lock and a night latch? What I'm struggling with is the handle & mortice lock combo. If it's a mortice deadlock, I don't need a handle at all do I, and could just fit a centre door knob? Is that the best way to go? I prefer the look of a proper 92pz handle, but not sure how that would work with a standard mortice/sash lock.

If I fit a sash lock, to get in, you'd have to unlock the sash mortice lock then open the night latch, then hold down both, which seems unnecessarily convoluted.

Sponsored Links
Consider a 5 lever mortise lock with a handle,, plus another 5 lever mortise
lock below it (no handle) to prevent kick in as much as possible.
You can fit a night latch too if you want, although these don't resist break in particularly well.
John :)

Night Latches are prone to locking people out by accident, which maybe a consideration if the non too discernible tenant is happened upon! And they offer limited advantage anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back