Internal oak veneer door match

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum, I am trying to match a damaged door with a replacement. It is a 2'6" Internal oak veneer flush door with an unusual inlay.

These were probably produced at least 8-10 years ago, and I am struggling to find a match. Ive just been to Howdens and they have a flush oak door, but the wood is quite bit lighter, and the inlay is just a dark brown colour. Has anyone seen an inlay like this before...?

Picture attached to this post.... If anyone has any idea of where I can source one i'd be extremely grateful!!!!

Cheers, rich

Sponsored Links
I'd have thought you'd have a job finding an 8-10 y/o door type like this. Could be wrong of course. I hope I am.
Assuming you have to replace (or repair?) First question is what's the damage to the existing door? Could it be re- veneered, or even (possibly) have a piece of veneer let in as a repair? The pieces of inlay are known as (cross) bandings. You can get veneer, and bandings from Aaronson http://www.veneers.org.uk/html/bandings.html. When I've dealt with them in the past they seemed pretty knowledgable and the service was good.
It occurs to me that if you can get a similar door, it might be possible to let in pieces of banding to match the others, but a repair or adding banding to an existing door would require a certain amount of experience and skill.

Hi Dave, cheers for the reply, I assumed that the door would just need to be replaced, as i'm not sure I have the skill to be able to repair it. I guess with a good bit of skill the centre panel of veneer could be removed and replaced with a new panel, the damage is a small hole in the centre panel to one side.

How much do you think a reputable carpenter would charge to get this done? based in south wales

Sponsored Links
The only way I can see to do a job like that would be to replace the panel on that side of the door. That is I assume the whole side of the door, the "frame" being veneer?

New veneer would have to be made up with the "frame", bandings and panel to match the other side of the door and applied onto a ply or similar ground with a balancing veneer on the other side. You need someone used to doing that sort of work, and who has a large enough veneer press to do it. When you take in the chance of damaging the other side of the door, refinishing etc. etc. it may be more economical to get a matching door made.

In either case I can't see it being a cheap job although I can't say exactly how much. Try asking local furniture restorers and makers to see if they are interested, and can actually do the work. I doubt if the average jobbing chippy would want to do this sort of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back