Oak veneered mdf - colour matching to exsisting furniture???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made some furniture units using oak veneered mdf (really nice grain) which I wish to colour match to an exsisting dark oak table and dresser. I've tried various stains and varnishes but so far unable to get the depth of colour I need without loss of grain detail. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Hi

It would help if you could post photos of what you want to match to. If you can’t let me have the photos and I will host them for you. Contact can be made through my website.

Hi Team

Ray sent the photos and this is a copy of the email I sent him.

Hi Ray

I guess the original furniture was produced from Red Oak not white oak this is down to cost and red oak being very much cheaper than white oak plus the fact that it was going to be stained dark so no point in the manufacture using white oak, as well as the normal Joe not knowing the difference. Red oak as a light to dark red appearance plus it grain is a lot more course than white oak and courser the grain the more stain it will take up. Red oak was and still is used by the kitchen manufactures for there dark oak kitchens.

So you will not get white oak looking like red oak due to the coarseness of the grain they are total two different animals but still part of the oak family its like having a black sheep of the family.

Sorry if this as come a bit of a shock but I cant wrap it up and put a pick bow on it I have to tell it the way it is other wish I would be giving you misleading information. The best thing I can recommend is two things as you have already tried umpteen times to get the project looking right and the timber as that much stain impregnated in it is to start again but using red oak veneered board. And when you have a couple of off cuts about A4 size send them to me and I will have a play.

Don’t use oil based varnish it will turn yellow / honey and that will give you a totally different colour. ( check out my other postings and you will see I have a soap box I stand on regarding varnish )

I hope this is of some help.

Finally I hope you don’t mind but I will publish this on the forum just to help others would you mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back