Cheery flexy venner different shade to edging veneer

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started to try to make some furniture using MDF then veneering. Was going to use OAK but wife didn’t like the grain on crown cut and quarter cut was special order and expensive so in the end we went for cheery.

Got a couple of sheets of 8’x4’ cheery flexy veneer which Richard Russel wood merchants kindly let us select to ensure good colour match between the panels. Brought a 50m roll of edging veneer at the same time.

Now that I’ve started to do the veneering I notice that the edging veneer is a much much darker shade of red and sticks out like a very sore thumb.

Is there anything you can suggest to try to correct the colour match and make it more acceptable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any reason you didn't buy cherry veneered MDF to make the job a lot easier?

Have you unwound the roll of edging, cherry darkens a lot when exposed to light, the outer layer may have been affected.

If thats not the case you could try wood bleach or just cut some strips from the flexi veneer and use that, bit more time consuming but will give a better match. Also see what affect your finish has on the two woods before committing.

Jason

As per my old thread where you helped me. Have a lot of mitre joints so needed the veneer for those. Wanted to go for the mdf veneered for the other areas but was worried about colour matching the flexy to the mdf.

Have gone a few turns into the edging and its not getting any lighter.

Some of the edges are fairly long and thin. Worried about using the flexy with contact adhesive because of getting the alignment correct. Also not sure if I have enough.

Will there be any long term effect on the ageing if I bleach the edging?

I've not used the bleach on cherry before so not totally sure of the long term affect. Cherry is one of the worse for changing colour in light you only need to leave it for an hour in strong sunlight to see it change!

I assume you have got the real wood iron on edging not the egger MFC edging which is darker.

If you are not far from RR then you could also pop into South London Hardwoods, their edging may be a different shade.

Jason

Sponsored Links
I've not used the bleach on cherry before so not totally sure of the long term affect. Cherry is one of the worse for changing colour in light you only need to leave it for an hour in strong sunlight to see it change!

I assume you have got the real wood iron on edging not the egger MFC edging which is darker.

If you are not far from RR then you could also pop into South London Hardwoods, their edging may be a different shade.

Jason

Yep using the real wood edging veneer.

Much prefer using it rather than using the flexy veneer as edging because its much easier to use and because it gives a less noticeable edge join. Don’t know if it’s the paper backing or whether I’m doing something wrong but when using the flexy veneer as edging there is a very clear and discernable “join”.

Will try the bleach and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

Did read on the internet, after buying the stuff unfortunately, about how much and QUICKLY it changes. Tried a bit stuck to a window which is always in the shade, not that we have had much sun, and the change even in those low light conditions, after a couple of days was staggering. At that rate, given a month it will be jet black.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back