internal rendering.

1 Nov 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm going to render my internal walls with a waterproofer mixed in
with a sand and cement mix,my question is:
1.What type of sand should i,Sharp?

2.What ratio,sand & cement mix ?

3.Recommend a good waterproofer to add to mix.

4.Should i also add a plastisiser to mix ?

All advice most welcome,Thanks Madsey.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply,can you tell me by what other
name is rendering sand known as?
The reason i ask is that i called at a local builders merchents
today and when i asked for rendering sand they looked at me
funny and said "do you mean sharp sand".
General Construction Sands
Concrete sands (fine, medium and coarse) for most concreting applications, including heavy duty floor finishes; plastering and rendering sands (types A and B) for internal gypsum plaster, internal lime plaster and external rendering; masonry sands (types G and S) for stonewalling, blockwalling, brickwalling, pointing and external rendering; cohesive fill (consolidated fill) and blinding sand. just got it off a web site.
Sponsored Links
I have used LB known as Leighton Buzzard sand. I have also discovered recently that you can buy metal beading from Wickes that are applied to the wall with dabs of the render mix. They act as 'Lines' which you use ,with a straight edge, to level what you slap on in between them. BTW Wickes will not have LB sand but I think they have rendering sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local