Internal rose door handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’ve got a new lever on rose door handle as I’m replacing all the old gold backplate handles.

The lever on rose handle is bolt through and comes with 2 screws 1 long and 1 short.

Do I put the short screw in first and get that snug then go from the other side and put the longer screw in or doesn’t it really matter?

Also for the bathroom lever on rose lock the spindle is just a bit too long, what’s the best way to shorten this? I guess a good hack saw?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Does not matter along as you ensure that the holes through the door are aligned vertically & horizontally so the handles don't jam up on the spindle.

Also for the bathroom lever on rose lock the spindle is just a bit too long, what’s the best way to shorten this? I guess a good hack saw?
Yes. that's normal. I carry a junior hack saw and a pair of pliers to do the job and a small file to take the burrs off (although the side of an oilstone or even the back kitchen step in some cases can do the same). Take care not to cut it too short - it's easily done

Last edited by a moderator:
sleeve nuts with matching screws are better than woodscrews.

SleeveNuts.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes. that's normal. I carry a junior hack saw and a pair of pliers to do the job and a small file to take the burrs off (although the side of an oilstone or even the back kitchen step in some cases can do the same). Take care not to cut it too short - it's easily done
I've always found them too hard for a hacksaw & use an angle grinder.

sleeve nuts with matching screws are better than woodscrews.

View attachment 260356
It’s very similar what comes in the packet.

I’ve added them on the handle whilst the old holes are filled and painted so I don’t lose them

Attachments

• 09225E75-36E8-4C6F-8D38-F5B5A0FC5CF4.jpeg
    09225E75-36E8-4C6F-8D38-F5B5A0FC5CF4.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 72
This is the annoying thing I only need to cut off a few mm so will be hard to do I expect

In that case a grinder - or a 8 to 10in flat file

This is the annoying thing I only need to cut off a few mm so will be hard to do I expect
You don’t shorten a few mm , you cut at unthreaded area, the sleeve nut is long enough to accommodate this.
I use wire cutters to snip thru.
For spindle a few second on the belt sander will take of a few mm.

Last edited:
Wasn't the original comment about the spindle?

I shortened the spindle a few mm and working okay.

The whole thing was a pain, if I tighten the screws for the through bolt then the door handle is very stiff, same story with the WC lock hard to open and close.

I must be doing something wrong but not sure what or why it’s so difficult to change a door handle, but I do believe DIY stands for Don’t Involve Yourself.

Any ideas why tightening the screws make it’s difficult to open and close and to use the lock? Backing off the bolt through screws makes it smoother but then it wobbles a bit.

I’ve not bothered to put the screws for the fixing holes as they make it even worse when trying to open the door, I can only assume the fixing screws foul the latch as they are quite long

You probably cut the recess a little too tight so tightening the screws pinches the latch mechanism.Or spindle hole is too small again pinching the catch.

You probably cut the recess a little too tight so tightening the screws pinches the latch mechanism.Or spindle hole is too small again pinching the catch.
The only additional holes I made was for the two through bolts, the holes for both spindles were left as is because I’m just changing from back plate handle to lever on rose.

Last year I changed all the latches in prep for this as the one latches didn’t have the holes for the through bolt, but I made sure to buy smith & Locke latches and handles hoping it would be an easy job but clearly not

The only additional holes I made was for the two through bolts, the holes for both spindles were left as is because I’m just changing from back plate handle to lever on rose.

Last year I changed all the latches in prep for this as the one latches didn’t have the holes for the through bolt, but I made sure to buy smith & Locke latches and handles hoping it would be an easy job but clearly not
Yes , the change to thru boltscould be pinching the catch as you previously had nothing near the catches with previous handles .

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back