1930s brass door handle spindle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I have a 1930s brass door handle, on which the spindle has worn to the point it no longer works the latch. Photo attached. I would like to replace the (screw-threaded) spindle, but cannot release it from the brass outer handle.
As far as I can see the handle is a single piece, although logically some part of it should unscrew. I have tried soaking it with "plus gas", but it still does not move. There is something rattling inside the handle, but I have no idea what, only a fear that it reflects some kind of irreversible fixing.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8759.JPG
    IMG_8759.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 297
Sponsored Links
It's possible the hollow brass handle was filled with molten pitch or something, and the spindle plunged into it to hold fast when cooled and hardened. You could try heating the spindle with a gas torch if you have one.

I think you need to be saving up for a new knob.

Sponsored Links
What does the other knob look like?
Do you have another door set to look at?

It looks very corroded - a mixture of 50/50 acetone and atf fluid is supposed to be very good as a release agent. I would also try a lot of heat as the metals will expand at different rates

Rather than struggle with replacing the spindle, can it be wrapped in a thin brass sheet where it needs to operate the latch?
Cleaned up with a grinder and some thin steel sheet tack welded to it?

Have you tried heating it up, the two metals expand at different rates so may break any seal. Or try soaking in rust remover, or cut off and drill out, or as matty suggests you could pack out the lock with a sliver of tin from a used can.

Thankyou all for replies.

@Tigercubrider - the other handle looks completely different - it is lurking just to the left of the plus gas bottle in the picture. It screws onto the end of the spindle and is then fixed in place with a grub screw into the hole you can see in the spindle. No other door sets available for comparison, I am afraid.

@Tigercubrider, @JohnD, @foxhole - heat sounds like the easiest thing to try first, but will take a bit of setting up.

@foxhole, @mattylad - wrapping sounds promising if all else fails - I was wondering about something like fibreglass/"chemical metal", rather than welding which is outside my "comfort zone"?

Instead of replacing the spindle is it possible to fit a brass spacer behind the handle so that the worn part does not sit as far through the latch in the same position thus should operate it.

perhaps you could use an epoxy based filler to build it up and file it back sqaure. put a few key marks in the in first to hekp it adhere

Thanks @domdee - I have been wondering about that route. Any ideas on strength/wear characteristics of the fillers - I do not want to end up filling the lock with powdered epoxy ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back