door handle on multi fuel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all can someone help please, I have a Villager Chelsea Duo multi - fuel stove, the nut on the door latch has believe it or not broken up,i've managed to get 90% of the nut off but I need to remove the handle from the spindle to clear the rest, its held on with a roll pin, one end in the hole the pin is flush the other end it is sunk in the hole slightly. A how do I get it out B which way, thanks all REG

Sponsored Links
Roll pins don't need to be tapered as they rely on a spring action to keep them in place....therefore you can drift them out in either direction.
Basically you need a drift that is slightly smaller than the roll pin diameter.
Support the handle or catch as you hammer the drift and the pin will move - although they can be very tight.
John :)

Hi John, i've been doing just that, although I did not know the pin was not tapered, its hard to get a drift of the right size when its so small. If I get it out can I reuse the pin or do I have to replace it, and thank you for the quick response and help REG

Reg, there's nothing to stop you using the old pin, so long as it grips when its pushed back into place.
Regarding removing the old one, it will push in either direction, but corrosion and debris in the hole may cause it to move easier in one direction rather than another. Some WD40 may help, and roll pins are very difficult to drill out.
Do support the casting as well as you can - this particular sort of cast iron is most unforgiving when its asked to flex!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers John for all the info, I will give it another try tomorrow giving it some WD40 tonight and I will support it all round with some wood very carefully, thanks again REG

Hi John, Brilliant pin out handle off spindle thread cleaned up new nut fitted, all back and working, thanks again REG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back