Internal sliding door threshold - fill cavity with foam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House built in 1979. I believe it was built with the PVC sliding door which we've recently replaced for an aluminium door (as part of a much bigger project). As per the photos, there is a gap between floorboards and rear of door (threshold?) and I can see down the cavity. The DPC is two courses down. Internal floor is hollow / timber floorboards. We get the occasional nighttime slug visiting which is minging and I assume they're coming up through the gap. I can feel a cold draft coming up. I can see water at the very bottom of the cavity (we seemingly have a high water table). We're getting condensation collecting in the sliding door tray which I assuming is damp air rising through the gap, hitting the door and turning into water droplets (correct me if anyone disagrees????). In the pics you can see damp chipboard. I think this is from condensation running off the door, onto the carpet and getting the wood wet (again, feel free to correct).

Long bit of background, short question - should I just fill the void (being careful not do go below DPC) and this could solve all my problems? I've seen advice saying people can use foam (but multiple layers to build it up), or I've got lots of PIR spare so could cut some (tight fitting) to put into the gap and then foam and remaining gaps.

Am I well off the mark? Something else I need to consider? Are both my approaches OK and is there a preference?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240126_121354091.jpg
    PXL_20240126_121354091.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240126_125646014.jpg
    PXL_20240126_125646014.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240126_125656609.jpg
    PXL_20240126_125656609.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back