Internal Stone Wall Render Flaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After some help please!

We believe this section of the house was built around 1850ish. This room has a few walls which is an internal stone wall which has been painted white (we have no idea when). I've attached some pictures and as you can see, the upper half of the wall render/paint is solid however towards the bottom, the paint is coming away (unsure if it's lead paint so might need to get that tested) and there is crumbling mortar. We are looking for the best way to keep the stone effect but making it look alot neater.

I think the option we are going to go for is keeping the wall white but fixing the lower half of the wall. Any advice on how we can do it? I would assume pull off any loose section and use a wire brush to remove crumbling mortar. We would then need to repoint (lime I guess?) and then prime and paint? Unsure how to get this to match the rest of the wall.

The other option is to strip it back to stone but I think the house isn't designed to just be stone? I have read it's not good for the stone and generally dusty? Also, it seems super pricey to have someone sand blast it. Unless we sand blast it ourselves & there is a protectant we can put over?

Pretty much a novice and would really like some advice please.

Attachments

• Stonewall.jpg
    Stonewall.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Stonewall1.jpg
    Stonewall1.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Stonewall2.jpg
    Stonewall2.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Stonewall3.jpg
    Stonewall3.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 14
Sponsored Links
Paint needs to be breathable.
Anything with vinyl in will trap moisture and peel off.
Some special paints for that job.

Pay a damp / restoration company to come in and advise on how to proceed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back