Internal wall insulation over this weird stone lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm planning to insulated the inside of this wall (in photo) with insulated plasterboard. The main thing I'm concerned about is how to deal with this 'feature' - the stone lintel protrudes out through the existing plaster into the room.

For context, this room wall originally an outhouse ), and the previous owner knocked the kitchen wall out to join the two together to make a larger kitchen. The walls are about 30cm thin solid stone Edinburgh sandstone with plaster (in good condition) applied directly to the stone.

The window itself isn't great (it's an older sash window cut down to fit!), we've secondary glazed it so it's ok thermally but, but if it's wise to get the window and the lintel replaced that's an option.

I was planning to use something like celotex pl4000 and 'dot and dab' attach to the existing wall.

I can loose a bit of space, but not too much. This wall also has sinks, gas boiler and hot water tank! But we're getting the gas boiler replaced with an air source heat pump at some point, so I was hoping to use this chance to do the wall - eg the plumbers/gas engineer rip out the old stuff, I'll then add the new board, then they can install the new stuff

Any advice welcome

Attachments

• 20200930_125019.jpg
    20200930_125019.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 272
Sponsored Links
Yeah I guess that would do it and allow the insulation to form a continuous barrier.

If I cut it off neatly, I could always stick it back on over the insulation to retain the visual feature!

aah sorry .I didn’t realise you wanted to keep it.

Sponsored Links
Not don't really need to keep it, it looks interesting, but I'd rather have a warm room!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back