Internal Wall Modification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We're looking to have our kitchen/utility room redone but before designing the kitchen etc, we would like to open out the existing kitchen/utility to create more space.

There is already an opening that i'm assuming was done by the previous owners of the property.

Attached are some pics showing the current layout and I've marked with a red line where we'd ideally like to remove to.

Just after some advice on how big a job this could and what would likely be involved?

The house had a 1st floor extension above the garage/utility so the wall were looking to remove is below the old external wall of the house.

Hope the pics are clear enough?

Many Thanks in advance

Floorplan1.jpg Layout.JPG PIC1.jpg PIC2.jpg

Sponsored Links
There would be steel involved, propping (acro props), knocking out of walls, making good ceilings, walls, floors, re-hashing plumbing/heating and electrics and a chunk of money. You'll need a structural engineer and BC approval.

I'd consider taking a bite out of the garage to square things up and a ground floor WC.

Thanks noseall, appreciate the response.

Is this bread and butter stuff for a competent builder or is it a complex job?

Would you imagine there being any disruption to the bathroom above? We're having that redone soon and I'll have to change the order around if we'd have to rip it back out again.

I'd thought about the garage but there's too much on the back wall such as the boiler etc, don't think our budget would stretch that far.

Aby idea of a high level estimate for the work? 1000s?

Cheers

Is this bread and butter stuff for a competent builder or is it a complex job?
Not especially. Easy for an inexperienced bod to get wrong though.

Would you imagine there being any disruption to the bathroom above? We're having that redone soon and I'll have to change the order around if we'd have to rip it back out again.
It can depend upon which way the joists are running and whether you want the beam to be visible or hidden in the floor space. Otherwise no disruption to the bathroom. The kitchen ceiling is best being sacrificial in terms of access rather than lifting floor boards upstairs.

Aby idea of a high level estimate for the work? 1000s?
£5k ish depending on where the cut off point is and what finishes you have in mind.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, is that 5k ish just for the beam and the wall removal/make good or are you including fitting of new kitchen units etc?

Cheers

Wont a new kitchen fitted cost more than £5k?

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. So just wanted to check the 5k rough guide was going to be just the wall removal part.

Cheers

Thanks, is that 5k ish just for the beam and the wall removal/make good or are you including fitting of new kitchen units etc?

Cheers
£5k will buy you a big chunk of the building work i.e. removal of existing utility items and (part) kitchen items, steel prop and fix, plumbing and electrics isolation work, beam infill and plasterboard cover, ceiling make good and skim, walls make good and skim, floor made good, second fix plumb and leccy, waste removal and any other (relevant) making god.
Lol - it will not buy you any second fix décor items like kitchen units, worktops, tiles etc.

Lol - it will not buy you any second fix décor items like kitchen units, worktops, tiles etc.

Haha, I was under no illusion that it would.

Thanks for the info, will weigh up whether it's worth the effort or just leave as is, although it does seem like it would be daft to waste the opportunity to do it whilst we're refitting the kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back