Create recess in front wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently planning an extension and some internal work to re-do the kitchen and create a utility type of space. In doing this space is tight, but I can fit the rooms, walls in etc. The work is on a single story portion of the house with a flat roof.

As part of the work, the current front wall becomes internal and a new front wall is build as part of the extension. This will include the bricking up if the current window. As part of the work I'm wondering if it's possible to remove part of the current wall (inside skin) under where the window currently is so that I could recess a radiator into the wall (and channel all associated pipework along the bottom of the wall.

I'm trying to think of creative ways to maximize the use of space etc in the new layout.

Sponsored Links
Currently planning an extension and some internal work to re-do the kitchen and create a utility type of space. In doing this space is tight, but I can fit the rooms, walls in etc. The work is on a single story portion of the house with a flat roof.

As part of the work, the current front wall becomes internal and a new front wall is build as part of the extension. This will include the bricking up if the current window. As part of the work I'm wondering if it's possible to remove part of the current wall (inside skin) under where the window currently is so that I could recess a radiator into the wall (and channel all associated pipework along the bottom of the wall.

I'm trying to think of creative ways to maximize the use of space etc in the new layout.

I guess you could.

I suppose you need a lintel of sorts to support the window infill above.

Since the existing room is single storey, I presume the extension will make one big flat roof - if there is a parapet wall, you need to be very careful to avoid the cavity being exposed to moisture travelling down.

You could batten the back of the new opening and plasterboard it, then put cavity closures in the sides and plaster that - I presume the cavity runs along until it reaches an external wall, so it needs the reveal insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back