Recess In A Partition Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redoing my bathroom at the moment and will shortly be installing a shower cubicle. I was hoping to put a recessed shelf in the cubicle. It will be on the wall that seperates the bathroom from the landing and as such is a partition wall of about 100mm thick. My bathroom side currently has not got the tile backer on it yet so I was thinking of adding a few more wooden noggins / batons to the wall to create a square and then add the back board and cut a hole to create the recess. I would then add some backer board to the internal parts of the recess, add some waterproof membrane and then tile.

Is this type of recess in a partition wall ok or is it not a recommended practise?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

Sponsored Links
Done to an adequate standard, there is no reason why it should not work.

However, bare in mind that over time timber shrinks/warps/distorts.

What's the best way to wire these in with a switch?

I was thinking of taking a fused spur off my landing plug socket.

Can I have the fused spur on the bathroom side under the bath if it's a waterproof outside type socket? I could also then wire in an fm remote to turn them on and off.

Hmm anyone any ideas how else I could do it? I don't really want two pull cords.

Thanks,

Daz

What's the best way to wire these in with a switch?

I was thinking of taking a fused spur off my landing plug socket.

Can I have the fused spur on the bathroom side under the bath if it's a waterproof outside type socket? I could also then wire in an fm remote to turn them on and off.

Hmm anyone any ideas how else I could do it? I don't really want two pull cords.

Thanks,

Daz

Eh? :confused: :?: :!:

Sponsored Links
You asked a question about sutd work and then followed on with a completely different question and they have no relevance too each other??

Do you mean that you would also like to put some lighting in your recess?

no i think he meant to say there will be some downlighters or something in the recess but just neglected to mention it. Then he carried on as if he had mentioned it and was equally confused as to why we were confused??

Or so says my magic 8-ball?

i dont think you can have an outside socket in a bathroom even though its waterproof. Why dont u link the recess lights in with your ceiling rose or whateva u got (access a problem?) or to much loading? more info please

Ooops! My apologies!

I did indeed completely miss out the bit about adding lighting!

I copied the post from a text editor and must have missed the top bit of text! Doh!

Yes the plan was to add a light at the top. A low voltage deck light was my plan. This feeds from a transformer. I was thinking of removing the plug and wiring this into a fused spur from the landing plug socket.

I want to have these switch on independent to the main lights so don't want to wire these to the main bathroom lighting. I guess I'm trying to understand what options I have for switches.

Apologies again for the confusion!

Daz

Will the shower cubicle be so dark that you won't be able to see your bottle of head 'n' shoulders sitting on the shelf in the recess?

Or do you just like overcomplicating things?

Will the shower cubicle be so dark that you won't be able to see your bottle of head 'n' shoulders sitting on the shelf in the recess?

Or do you just like overcomplicating things?

Nope, I just want to go the extra mile. I've seen numerous photos where it's been done and it looks very effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back