Wall Recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping someone can provide me with a little advise.

Im interested in installing a bathroom TV. In order for me to do that, I will need to remove a section of the tiles and then create a recess in which the a back box is installed (the TV is then mounted onto the back box). The TV will be installed on an external wall, which consists of the standard 100mm block, 100mm cavity and 100mm outer brick.

The installation instructions claim the following recess dimensions for in-wall installation W560 x H390 x D95 (mm), im concerned about the depth, taking into consideration the tile thickness im guessing I will need to around 85 - 90mm into the inner block, which is very close to the full 100mm, a simple slip and I have a 560 x 390 hole.

Would a 560 x 390 hole to the internal block work damage the structural integrity of the wall? (I wonder if the backing box and TV would provide the support required)

btw what tool is recommended to create the recess, a channelling chisel?

Sponsored Links
Creating a recess in a cavity wall is easy. For the depth thickness you require (100mm) you would inevitably remove one entire skin of masonry.

Fit an appropriate size concrete lintel, remove the space below and make good.

Your biggest headache is ensuring condensation and damp penetration issues do not occur once you have created the recess. I'm thinking you will need to fix a slab of celotex against the back side of the external wall and fit it robustly in terms of sealing it etc.

Have you considered electrical safety issues?

Thank you for the feedback

So you dont think the back box would be sufficient to act as a lintel?

I suppose it would be good to know if there are any tool available that can help create the recess with a little more accuracy than a simple method of hammer and chisel. That way I can be sure to create a recess without removing the entire skin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back