Putting in a new recessed electricity meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some advice on some building work we are planning.

We have a south facing wall that we would like to put French doors into. There is already an internal door and a recessed electricity box in the wall. We have been told that the wall would be stronger if we move the recessed electricity box (and that would also mean we could put wider French doors in, which we would like to do if at all possible).

The only place I think we could move the meter box is to another wall, part of a single story extension, which has a 3 foot door and a window already in it. The available space between the door and window is 1480mm and the brickwork opening for the meter box is about 365mm. Is this a suitable place to put a recessed box, or would putting a third hole in this wall cause problems?

My husband has suggested bricking up the external door in the extension, which we could do, but I would rather not due to the extra time/cost that would add in.

Thanks in advance, Angela

View media item 83597

Sponsored Links
I don't see the location being that much of a problem.

Have you taken into consideration the electrical service to the new meter box position and the subsequent connections back to the existing consumer unit?

Okay, that sounds promising, thanks for your reply.

We have an electrician coming round on Friday to quote for reconnecting the electrics internally, and if that cost is reasonable, I'll request a formal quote from Northern Powergrid for the service alteration, I've already got an online quote from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back