Plastic sheet behind recessed meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing a recessed meter box into the wall of my house the instructions show to install a plastic sheet behind it on the inner leaf of the cavity wall. Presumably this is to act as moisture barrier. My question is how should the sheet be held in place when retro fitting?

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
I would think that its to stop water which gets into the box from dripping onto the inner leaf. Looks like a badly designed box. So you need to glue or pin the plastic sheet to the inner skin with its top higher then the back of the box and the bottom lower then the box and angled right across the cavity so any water drips won't just run off it onto the inner skin, but are directed outwards against the back of the outer skin at a point lower then the bottom of the box.
I have two meter boxes, they are both rubbish, the bottom edge of the door drags on the box, so its hard to open the door, one of them has the triangular "lock" pin broken as the plastic degrades with sunlight. Am trying WD40 to see if that lasts.
Frank

prince

you can get a meter-box repair kit for a few pounds. Some of them include a metal latch.

Sponsored Links
There is no need for a sheet behind the meter box, but you do need a cavity tray above it. And a lintel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back