Internal wall support problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new here so any help gratefully received.
I have been renovating the rear central bedroom of a 3 storey house (approx 1850). When removing the skirting board I noticed that the brick wall between the front and rear bedroom was barely supported on the joists below which rest on an RSJ downstairs. Above the 1st floor bedrooms is one bedroom the full size of the house, with (I presume) the floor joists resting on the internal wall. Behind the skirting there were individual bricks resting on the joists, most of these were loose except at each end, as the mortar had crumbled over the years, leaving the wall apparently supporting itself.
This has probably been like this for decades and may explain the occasional cracks in the plaster. My question is what can I do to help support the wall? Do I need to insert some sort of lintel? Not asked any local builders yet. Thought I would try here first.
Thanks in advance
Si

Sponsored Links
brick up in between the current bricks to within approx 10mm,leave overnight,then dry pack with slate or similar materials.

Sponsored Links
So you have an rsj below the joists, and the brickwork above the joists?

The rsj should be taking the load of the wall, there should be pocket holes in the brickwork for the joists to rest into. So the wall should be built up from in between the joists, if that makes sense.

What is that behind the loose bricks, is that more bricks? Is it a double skin wall?

Behind the loose bricks is the skirting in the front bedroom. Building up from the RSJ (presume there is one, downstairs was converted years ago, there is some sort of support from one side of downstairs to other) makes sense, need to have a closer look underneath at the moment can only see the laths and lots of muck.
Si

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back