Removing a wall between Kitchen and Living Room and RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking to get some advice on this subject to see how much cost and also if its possible to do a PART DIY. i.e knocking down bit. with help from builder for the RSJ.

I live in a terraced house, (2 up and 2 down rooms) have a 6inch thick internal(middle) wall between Living and Dining room currently and it goes all the way to first floor, separating 2 bedrooms.

The wall ends there, i.e in the loft nothing is resting on it except the ceiling for the bedrooms. None of the Roof joist or any wood part is resting on that wall. i.e it finishes in the attic area. The Roof joist runs from front to back resting on girder at the top of the rood resting on sidewalls(parity walls)

I have few questions..

1> Is this wall a load bearing? I think its not, but any opionions would be good.

2> Also how difficult is it to get an RSJ for the ground floor, i still want to keep the bedroom wall on first floor

3> I have few friends who have done RSJ installation for Attic, but that was different, as they didn't have a wall to preserve so easy, for me, i need to take down the downstairs wall and still supporting the upstairs wall, how hard can this be for RSJ,

4> How can i support the first floor wall while demolishing the downstairs wall.

Any idea/quotes welcome. thanks

Image attached

View media item 56524

Sponsored Links
The wall might not be load bearing, but it could be tieing. Ie there to make sure the bulding doesn't bow. I'd get a structural engineer's report first.

Had the joists been bearing onto this wall the job would have been simpler!

However you do have the opportunity to conceal the beam if your skills at needling and propping etc, will allow.

But...(and this is a big but)....being a terrace, it looks as though the beam needs to rest on both party walls. This means that you will have no 'shove' room should you wish to remove the whole wall, unless your neighbours allow you to knock a hole into their lounge!

You are likely to have to leave nibs.

Do the first fl joists definitely not span onto the wall?

You can open up the full width but it's not necessarily recommended as the wall will be giving stability to the building.
It comes down to building control guidance and your SE's professional judgement as to whether or not you need nibs or posts.

If it is decided you can open up the full width one way of getting the beam in is to cut the beam 100mm or so shorter than the width of the room, then rest 2 PFCs back to back on the party wall each side, and bolt the PFCs through the web of the beam.
You would need calcs to determine the length of the PFCs & bolt sizes, but you will need calcs for the beam design anyway.

Sponsored Links
being a terrace, it looks as though the beam needs to rest on both party walls. This means that you will have no 'shove' room should you wish to remove the whole wall, unless your neighbors allow you to knock a hole into their lounge!

to give a bigger picture.

I am the owner of the next door(one side) property which is end terraced. So only have to worry about the other side. Would it still be a problem for me to get the RSJ onto the wall without nibs/posts? Is it possible?

Do the first fl joists definitely not span onto the wall?

sorry i have not checked but i will check and update here.

We got our RSJ into our terrace without troubling next door by cutting pockets in the brickwork either side and rotating it into place.

We got our RSJ into our terrace without troubling next door by cutting pockets in the brickwork either side and rotating it into place.

Did you had a wall to support upstairs? I want to take out a downstairs wall only and keep the one separating bedroom upstairs

We did, but that now gone too (another story)!

You need the SE to spec the beam. We opted to get the beam put in by builders, but then took the wall out ourselves after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back