Internally Insulating an External Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking through the search function, I can see this has been discussed lots but I have some specific questions.

I live in a house in Scotland with 600mm Sandstone walls, externally rendered. I'm renovating one of my rooms and want to insulate the external wall (internally). Internally there is no insulation but the wall surface is 80mm from the stonework. My plan was to build a stud wall, 25mm away from the stonework, 40-50mm of Celotex/Kingspan sheet inside the stud-work sealed with expanding foam or foil tape as required to ensure a vapour barrier. Then 12.5 mm plasterboard and skim.

1. In an effort to prevent damp, I think it would be a good idea to ensure the 25mm void is vented to the outside air. We currently have an air-brick on that wall, albeit adjacent to a different room. I was thinking of trying to connect the wall void to the void space under the floor, maybe via a series of holes. Is this likely to be enough to prevent damp, assuming the vapour barrier is complete?

2. Would I lose any meaningful insulation properties where the studs are instead of the insulation board (i.e every 600mm)? Obviously my other choice would be Kingspan K18 board onto battens where the insulation coverage would be complete.

3. Inside the window reveals, I don't have quite as much space so was thinking of using 12mm Celotex and plasterboard. Would I still need a 25mm void space or would I be able to get away with less?

4. I was initially looking at the Kingspan K18 board onto battens but my concerns there are: How do you maintain the vapour barrier when you join two boards together? Is there some sort of sealant you can put between them as you install them? Also it looks to be a lot more expensive but I can live with that if there are noticeable benefits. Is there a preferred method between my two suggestions?

Sorry for the long post, all my research started to get contradictory so I thought I would ask.

Thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
Another thought that has just occurred to me, with the vapour barrier directly behind the plasterboard, it is bound to become punctured over time with nails, screws fixings etc. Aside from leaving a service void, I can't imagine how to avoid this.

Would these tiny punctures be that big a deal? It's an old draughty house with plenty of airflow. Is this only imperative in these super-insulated houses?

Just one minor comment on this, as I'm no expert: I would have thought it would be better to ventilate the cavity to the inside, where the air is (usually) warmer and drier? As for the window reveals, a friend just used Celotex there, as there wasn't room for the gap, and he's had no problems.

Just one minor comment on this, as I'm no expert: I would have thought it would be better to ventilate the cavity to the inside, where the air is (usually) warmer and drier? As for the window reveals, a friend just used Celotex there, as there wasn't room for the gap, and he's had no problems.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

I think the whole point behind having the vapour membrane is to keep the warm, moist air from inside the room from getting to the colder stonework where it condenses and can cause damp issues. To this end, that's why I thought to vent the void spaces to the underfloor area where the outside air circulates and takes the damp away.

As for the window reveals, I will have to just put the insulation in with little to no air gap due to space issues ( I might be able to leave 5-10mm). I would have thought that area would have been less of an issue as behind the curtains is often cooler than the main body of the room.

I'm looking forward to getting home from work next month and cracking on with this project. Just got to get plenty of research in between now and then.

I think the whole point behind having the vapour membrane is to keep the warm, moist air from inside the room from getting to the colder stonework where it condenses and can cause damp issues. To this end, that's why I thought to vent the void spaces to the underfloor area where the outside air circulates and takes the damp away.
Yes, I can see the sense in your logic. Good luck with your research and with the project.

Hi sutty

I'm interested to see what you do in the end with this as we're considering doing the same in our bedroom. We're in a basement (garden level really, it's not really underground) tenement in Glasgow with thick solid sandstone walls.

We've got slight mould problems which we've put down to condensation where the air meets the cold walls so are thinking about insulating & improving ventilation in the flat.

Can't offer you any advice but looking forward to seeing others' replies and how you go about it.

Another thought that has just occurred to me, with the vapour barrier directly behind the plasterboard, it is bound to become punctured over time with nails, screws fixings etc. Aside from leaving a service void, I can't imagine how to avoid this.

Would these tiny punctures be that big a deal? It's an old draughty house with plenty of airflow. Is this only imperative in these super-insulated houses?

Just a thought, if you use insulated plasterboard on top of your insulation you get the extra insulation benefit and gain yourself a few more critical mm of distance before the membrane is punctured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back