wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've just moved to a mid-terraced house built in 1880. The kitchen sticks out the back so has three walls exposed to the elements. The house has solid walls - the main ones are really thick with lath+plaster inside, but the ones on the kitchen relatively thin.

We're going to take out the old kitchen and out in a new one. I'd like to insulate the walls. I'd propose fitting kingspan/celotex as I need to not lose too much of the width of the room!

Should I just build out from one corner, putting battens every 450mm and wedging the celotex in between? Then ensure I have a complete vapour barrier on the warm side by using foil tape over any holes + over the battens? Then fix the plaster board on the inside?

Is it ok to use dabs of glue/expanding foam to stick the celotex to the walls, or should there be an air-gap?

Many hanks! Mark.

Sponsored Links
You could just line with insulated plasterboard, you will need noggins installed where wall cup'ds are to be mounted.

I could ... but insulated plasterboard is more expensive. And is it still ok/not ok to stick it to the stone wall or does it have to be on [thin] battens so there's an air gap?

Other question actually is about fitting sockets/electrics. Doesn't the hole for these completely destroy the point of the vapour barrier!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back