Internet Connection

S

Shutpa

On our new computer we are getting very limited access to the internet. Have taken out a contract with supanet but have the following problem when trying to get on to the net. After "connect to" I get an apparent choice between (a) Zoom ADSL dial-up connection and (b) Supanet Broadband which is not available because it states that there is a modem problem. So, we have to choose ADSL which sometimes, but not always gets us connected.
Is there any difference to me the user between these two or should I really get the (b) Supanet Broadband option. A very quick reply would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
RE my internet connection problem, I was under the impression that I wouldn't have a dial-up connection. Was I wrong here?

Sponsored Links
If you are not using an external router to handle the connection to your ISP, windows still sees it as a dial up connection. The difference being that it dials up using an ADSL modem rather than a conventional analogue modem. I have heard of ISP's that will also supply conventional dial up details for customers to use in the event of a problem with the ADSL.

Before I going on, how long ago did you order the broadband? It takes up to 10 days for your ISP to set you up as they have to get some work done at the telephone exchange. If it is less time than this, it is very possible that they haven't finished yet and it will work soon.

Having said that, if this is not the case. When you signed up with your ISP, you should have been sent an ADSL modem, and at least one microfilter that separates the voice signal on your phone line from the data signal. The ADSL modem will connect to the PC via a USB cable and then has a cable with small clear squareish plugs at either end that that connects from the ADSL modem to the mircofilter. If you have other phone sockets in use in your home, you will also have to purchase microfilters for each of them to stop the phones interfering with the ADSL signal. Don't forget your Sky box if you have one, often overlooked,but connects to the phone line. A common type of ADSL modem is a Speedtouch modem. This will install a diagnostic utility that can be seen in the system tray at the bottom right of the screen. Is has an icon of 2 arrows, one pointing up, one pointing down. If you do have this, you should be able to click on the icon and run a diagnostic program that will check the line for the presence of an ADSL carrier signal.

I'll let you check this lot before going on.

Pretty much everything has been said, however, you would fair better with a router, rather than a USB modem.

Your broadband connection also has to go through a training period to determine your ultimate maximum connection speed. During this period, normally 5 to 10 days, you may experience connection difficulties/drop-outs.

Igorian said:
Pretty much everything has been said, however, you would fair better with a router, rather than a USB modem.

Your broadband connection also has to go through a training period to determine your ultimate maximum connection speed. During this period, normally 5 to 10 days, you may experience connection difficulties/drop-outs.

I agree!

Get a router from your local IT store. Make sure its a known make, like Linksys, Dlink, Netgear. This is more secure than connecting directly to the Internet using the ADSL Modem. They only cost around £30!

Although the girl at the main office did suggest a router (she had one herself), the technical help people have not come up with this suggestion in some 8 - 9 hours of help by phone, ( they have been phoning me for the most part ). They have also arranged for a BT engineer to come tomorrow to check the line. Having had no access to the net for about 5 days, this morning for no reason that I could see, the dial-up changed from Broadband to Zoom and hey presto we were back on the net.
How do I know that a router would work?

The connection I have at the moment is most unreliable and I can, like the last time, have no connection for days at a time. Perhaps the router overcomes these problems, does it?

Nobody will know the answer to that without knowing what's causing the problem.

One of the [many] advantages of a router is that you'll be able to home in on the problem - most USB ADSL modems don't offer much to the fault-finding process.

Cheers guys, I'll wait until the BT engineer checks the line tomorrw and then give serious thought to the router solution.

Couldn't get access this morning then discovered this icon in the bottom bar saying that something had blocked a programme. I clicked on run blocked programme and here I am back on the net. Assuming that may be a big part of the problem, is there any way that I stop my computer from blocking the programme in the first place?

your computer will not block anything, a programme on it will. we need to know what the programme is that blocked your access.

it sounds like it is a firewall

BT engineer has just called and said that there is no problem at this end and that it must be the settings (which Tech. Help talked me through). He also said that I should be on Broadband and not dial-up Zoom but I have no Idea where the dial-up Zoom came from. Are long drawn-out problems like these common when people try to get Broadband?

Sponsored Links
Back