network connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anybody help
i have just setup a adsl gateway for my wireless laptop and a wired desktop the laptop cnnected ok and i have internet accsess but the desktop is trying to dial and is unabe to istablish a connection i have run the network setup wizzard and the nework adaptor is connected but i have no connection to the modem.
any advice please.

Sponsored Links
Is the desktop trying to dial using an analogue modem from an old dial up connection? ADSL requires no dial up as such. Check you Internet explorer connections tab. It should be set to never dial a connection.

If this is not the case, then please give more detail of the setup and how it is all connected together, including operating systems and the ISP you are using.

i am running windows xp home on both computers and the old modem was a usb broardband sagem.
when i open the explorer it used to come up connecting i then setup my new gateway and run network wizard i have set the connections tab never to dial the only options in the connect to box in the start menu is my old broadband and an old dialup connection and these are both disconnected i now have a icon on my toolbar that says i have a network adaptor and it is connected but the webpages are all unavalable.
my isp is tiscali,
in the connect to box on my laptop i have wireless network icon and my laptop works fine.
the adsl gateway is working fine and the desktop is hard wired to that.
this is all new to me so i am probably missing something simple.
thanks for the help

John...Go to Control Panel...then to Internet Options.....then to the Connections tab

Once there you will see a dialogie box

Below the white box there are a couple of options.

Never dial a connection

Dial if no network connection available

Always dial my default connection

For your machine to connect via the LAN, the little selection box beside NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION should have a green dot in it, if it does not, then select this option.

Once you have done that, click on apply, then OK. Close the dialogue boxes etc, and then try to connect. The connection should then be made via the LAN.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the help everyone
have found out that the network connection that i was using was a 1394 connection that will only work between two computers so i have now installed a wireless network point on my desktop,
now a new problem my adsl gateway when sitched on will not connect automatically i have to power up my old usb broadband modem and then swap the telephone plug over to my gateway and then it stays on until its switched off and although i do leave it on i don't want to have to do this every time i need to remove the power.
any sujestions would be appreciated.

the router is a linksys adsl gateway model wag54g.
and my isp is tiscali

Assuming the general Internet settings of the router have been programmed correctly, check the status of the dial on demand and keep alive radio buttons.

Sponsored Links
Back