Internet Connection

bolo said:
BT engineer has just called and said that there is no problem at this end and that it must be the settings (which Tech. Help talked me through). He also said that I should be on Broadband and not dial-up Zoom but I have no Idea where the dial-up Zoom came from. Are long drawn-out problems like these common when people try to get Broadband?

DSL modems, especially isp supplied can be flaky, but again, it can depend on how well your system is running and on other applications. If your broadband connection is ok, a router would be a better device to use for connection.

Sponsored Links
bolo said:
Are long drawn-out problems like these common when people try to get Broadband?
They are when a sh*te ISP is involved. BT is firmly amongst the worst, in my experience.

Cheer Softus but my ISP is Supanet and not BT as you appear to think. When they, Supanet, couldn't get my Broadband up and running they arranged for a BT engineer to call and check which he did and no faults were found. While I am on this subject, if I have a Broadband contract can I insist on getting BB and not a dial-up connection?

bolo said:
Cheer Softus but my ISP is Supanet and not BT as you appear to think.
Quite so - I apologise.

However, for the record, Supanet is also sh*te. Have a look at this.

And this:
69766022gz1.gif

And this:
34330424ca1.gif

When they, Supanet, couldn't get my Broadband up and running they arranged for a BT engineer to call and check which he did and no faults were found.
So, to put it in a nutshell, Supanet has failed to solve the problem.

While I am on this subject, if I have a Broadband contract can I insist on getting BB and not a dial-up connection?
This is such an odd question that I feel I must be misunderstanding you, but if you're paying for broadband then you should be getting broadband. :confused:

However, as Igorian has already said, Windows operates a sh*tty USB ADSL modem using the "Dialup Networking" components of the Windows operating system, so even an ADSL modem can appear to be a 'dialup' modem.

Sponsored Links
Not read all the thread, but thought I'd comment on your last post anyway :D

If you have a broadband contract then you should be getting broadband setup. The only reason not to get broadband is if it's not available in your area and dial up is the only choice. Broadband is the general term for a fast internet connection, even though some ways of delivering it (ADSL) still run over a normal phone line. Check with Supanet what speed connection they are supplying you with. 56k is a dial up modem speed, anything higher can be called broadband although you'd expect something from 1 to 8 megabits (a megabit is 1024 kilobits).

Now here's a thing. When I log on to the net I connect via a Zoom modem connection, but when my wife logs on according to the window it's a dial-up connection. How can this be on the same computer?

Not such an odd question Softus, for that is exactly what is happening. We have a Broadband contract bu we access the net via a dial-up connection.

Hi Bolo,

As the other guys have said, because you have an USB ADSL modem which connects directly to the PC, the Windows Operating system needs to connect to the broadband connection using the modem. Instead of design a new set of connection screens etc, they had decided to reuse the existing Dial-up Connection screens to enable you to connect to the Broadband connection. I admit it is a bit confusing that they call it 'dialup' but what you have is not dialup - it is broadband.

As for blocked programs, again as the other guys have said, this is probably some kind of Firewall, Anti-virus, or Anti-Spyware software that has been installed on the PC (such as McAfee or Symantec - but there are others.) If you think the application is legimate, then usually you can allow it forever - but obviously be careful - if in doubt don't allow it!

As far as I am aware you should be able to connect a router to any ISP (well maybe not AOL) without any issues!.

Finally got my access to the net but gaining access to any particular site is taking about 5 minutes or so. What in the name is wrong now? Any clues?

bolo said:
Not such an odd question Softus, for that is exactly what is happening. We have a Broadband contract bu we access the net via a dial-up connection.
This statement makes no attempt to recognise what people have been telling you, which is that you might think you're connecting by dialling up, but even if you're not then Windows might be making you think that you are.

Personally, I think you're confused, and that you've managed to confuse Supanet.

bolo said:
Finally got my access to the net but gaining access to any particular site is taking about 5 minutes or so. What in the name is wrong now? Any clues?
That depends.

It would be rather spiffing if you would deign to tell us how you "got" your "access to the net". :rolleyes:

Cheers Softus. I have been taking in what people are saying, but when the BT engineer came to check my line this morning, the first thing he said was that I should have Broadband and not dial-up. And this was an observation from his own computer link up to my phone line.
I finally 'got' access to the net meaning, that until now, the connection has been most unreliable. I am aware that I am not up on computer jargon but nevertheless I have managed to get a lot of help on this site without it. Most of the contributers are, in my experience, patient, tolerant and understanding.

bolo said:
...when the BT engineer came to check my line this morning, the first thing he said was that I should have Broadband and not dial-up.
Did he really? I thought he'd been to sent check that the BT line had no faults, so why on earth would he say such a thing?

Did you prompt him to say that?

Sponsored Links
Back