Intimidating leaking stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
StopCock.jpg

This is the stop cock in the house we're renovating. You can see a water droplet forming below the gland (or whatever it's called). I'm happy doing basic plumbing but this looks a bit scary to me. Does it need replacing or is there an in situ fix?

Sponsored Links
Turn off mains outside. Get that handle off via the nut that screws in to valve, re-new with a tap head. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Cant say right or wrong for your situation but maybe....have a look

Open a few cold taps, loosen the nut and wind some ptfe tape clockwise round the spindle then tighten nut up (pack it into the gland). Don't tighten it too much that the handle's too tight to close.

No need to open any cold taps unless you cant turn the stop tap off.
Turn it off unwind the packing nut and as gigz says wind ptfe round, tighten nut and open stop tap.

That's not a bad job don't need to turn off stop cock outside just turn off the cock in question undo the gland nut and repack the gland with ptfe tape wrap it loosely round the spindlestuff it in and then tighten the gland nut not too tight turn on water and if it weeps nip it till it tops job done. Bob.

Brilliant! Thanks guys (well most of you!), I feel confident to give it a go now.

Bob

Yeah do as gigz says or if you are an old fart like me who use to lead weld we use to remove the gland nut get some string coated in petroleum jelly (vasoline) and repack around the shaft its old school they call it a stuffing box
EE that takes me back. lol
Andy.

Do you have a water meter? Know where it is and check the isolation valve on it works before starting to take anything to pieces. If the job goes wrong, strip a thread, something doesn't fit, something sheared off or whatever - then how will you get to B&Q with water lashing everywhere? Have a contingency plan - know it will work!

Nozzle

Last edited:
13 posts about a stuffing box FFS..:ROFLMAO:......just nip it up job done jeez..

There isn,t 13 post,s about a stuffing box if it nip,s up fine if you get someone like my neighbour with a spanner a scaffold pole its goosed, some of the old taps won,t nip up.
Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back