Invisible speed camera + traffic calming rants

ban-all-sheds said:
scott1968 said:
That’s right (well spotted)
Irresponsible driver are infinity times worse that speed bumps.
Worse at what? Worse at preventing GaryM from driving the car of his choice? Worse at damaging the cars of people driving legally?

You must be struggling so I’ll say it again “Irresponsible drivers are worse than speed bumps” (only difference I’ve removed “infinity times”).

That’s a matter of opinion what’s a save speed in a build up area. Technically the street I live has a 30 mph speed limit but I would never dream of going that fast,
It is indeed a matter of opinion. Why should your opinion take precedence over that of the traffic engineers and other relevant authorities whose experts have set the posted speed limit?

You’re definitely struggling – You have never seen the street I live in and if anyone does 30 mph they are an a***holes, they have no apprehension for safety.

The last street I lived in had the speed changed from 30 mph to 20 mph; the street recently had speed bumps put in. The traffic engineers and other relevant authorities got it wrong with the original speed limit of 30 mph.

The speed bumps have helped control irresponsible motorist speeding in the street and surrounding streets.
If they were breaking the law, then the answer is to deal with them for those offences, and to use other techniques to detect and deter them, not to put measures in place which will break vehicles that are not being driven irresponsibly.

You’re Struggling - a technique was used.

I would be happy if the police patrolled every street in the area 7*24
The technique that was used was a sleeping policeman.

Thanks GaryM for showing me that car, I would not blame the car or the speed bumps I would blame the a***holes.
I'm sure you would - that comes as no surprise to me whatsoever....

Struggling again – Is that sarcasm or are you agreeing with me!

It’s an improvement in my street.
What's an improvement? The ability of emergency vehicles to drive along it? .

You are struggling that much you are only editing what you want,
But for the record safety in the street I live has improved.
The only time I’ve seen an emergency vehicles in my street was after a child was ran down (with an irresponsible a***hole driver), this was before the speed bumps were put in, when the emergency vehicle came into the street it was going slower than the speed limit and the irresponsible a***hole driver.

You will never get rid of the irresponsible drivers with the current laws, rules, regulations, etc, etc. But if speed bumps improves safety in the street I live I’m all for them.
Would you like to explain why the current laws, rules and regulations are inadequate to deal with people who speed?

No - This is you trying to change the subject because you are struggling,

Sponsored Links
Someone mentioned painted "bumps" on the entrance to villages - the sort that vibrate the car as you drive along them, for about 20 metres or so. They are there to encourage us to slow down to 30mph in readiness for entering the village. I have noticed, however, that driving at 50mph over them is MUCH more comfortable. And the frequency of the vibration at 30mph really does rattle the car significantly - i do get concerned over the integrity of the car when this happens! I drive over them at 50 all the time now. Stupid road designers. :evil:

scott1968 said:
You must be struggling so I’ll say it again “Irresponsible drivers are worse than speed bumps” (only difference I’ve removed “infinity times”).
Yes - I'm struggling, but I'll gamely try again.

Irresponsible drivers are worse than speed bumps at what? Worse at preventing GaryM from driving the car of his choice? Worse at damaging the cars of people driving legally?

You’re definitely struggling – You have never seen the street I live in and if anyone does 30 mph they are an a***holes, they have no apprehension for safety.
Then the speed limit is wrong. Reduce it.

The last street I lived in had the speed changed from 30 mph to 20 mph; the street recently had speed bumps put in. The traffic engineers and other relevant authorities got it wrong with the original speed limit of 30 mph.
So the speed limit was wrong, and it got reduced. Would GaryM have been able to drive his car down the street at 20mph? In general, was 20mph a feasible speed to do over the bumps?

The speed bumps have helped control irresponsible motorist speeding in the street and surrounding streets.
If they were breaking the law, then the answer is to deal with them for those offences, and to use other techniques to detect and deter them, not to put measures in place which will break vehicles that are not being driven irresponsibly.

Yes, you're right again, I'm struggling. Anyway, I'll try again, this time with a little more emphasis on a key word I used, which was other, and an explanation to say that when I wrote "to use other techniques" (not "to use a technique") I meant other than the topic of this discussion, i.e. other than speed bumps.

Thanks GaryM for showing me that car, I would not blame the car or the speed bumps I would blame the a***holes.
I'm sure you would - that comes as no surprise to me whatsoever....

Oh dear - you've got me again. You're right again - for the third time I am indeed struggling to get you to understand me.

It was neither agreement nor sarcasm - I was simply saying that it does not surprise me where you attempt to apportion the blame for GaryM not being able to drive his car.

Actually what I'm trying to do is to cut down the length of the posts by only including the text I'm replying to.

The only time I’ve seen an emergency vehicles in my street was after a child was ran down (with an irresponsible a***hole driver), this was before the speed bumps were put in, when the emergency vehicle came into the street it was going slower than the speed limit and the irresponsible a***hole driver.
I'm very pleased that safety in your street has improved, and that you can show a statistically significant reduction in casualties.

You will never get rid of the irresponsible drivers with the current laws, rules, regulations, etc, etc. But if speed bumps improves safety in the street I live I’m all for them.
Would you like to explain why the current laws, rules and regulations are inadequate to deal with people who speed?

No - This is you trying to change the subject because you are struggling,
No - this is me asking you to explain something, but you're right - that is a struggle.

But hey - I'll try again, only this time I'll highlight the link between my question and your statement by the use of colour.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
The ability of emergency vehicles to drive along it

no reason why they hinder emergency service vehicles.
Well, I've read more than one report of drivers saying that they do, and since that matches my personal experience (i.e. they limit my speed), I took it that they knew what they were talking about - sorry.

scott1968 wrote.

I think we got the point.

I rarely agree with BAS but he's right on this occasion.

Your overly emotive argument is based on too small a sample. One street(yours) where you have only seen one emergency (again your words) vehicle. If (for the sake of debate) there was an accident next week and then another the week after,making 2 accidents, whilst you have the bumps. Would you campaign for their removal because of this increase?

Read correctly what BAS has said. If safe to do so, you should be able to drive at the posted limit without damaging your car. If the speed limit is to high then they should lower it, like they have on your street, no doubt because its a minor road.

Tell us, when the child was run down on your street were they on the road or the footpath? How old was the child?More importantly, was the child under the supervision of an adult at the time, or playing in the street?
Why did you refer to the driver as you did, what did he actually do wrong?

What annoys many people is when these schemes are applied on "A" roads etc. Near me they have just deliberately blocked off half the main road by widening the footpaths at 100yd intervals, on a trading estate. This is causing severe tailbacks in the evening yet the nearest school is probably half a mile away and kids don't walk home in that direction either. Absolutely pathetic.

Well, I've read more than one report of drivers saying that they do, and since that matches my personal experience (i.e. they limit my speed), I took it that they knew what they were talking about - sorry

apology accepted, never had a big problem with them, just adjusted your speed to deal with them. They were there for a reason so you adjusted your speed to suit the road, all part of the "system". Ive taken them at 50 when following a stolen car, jars a bit, but never did any damage to the car providing you apply the throttle at the right part.

I totally agree with BAS and paulbrown.

I think the issue of 'idiotic' drivers has to be seen separately. I fully agree that some measures need to be in place to prevent their disrespectful behaviour, but is something that is likely to be causing damage to the cars of 'innocent' drivers a fair method to use?

Apart from this, my arguement is also that speedbumps are NOT designed to accommodate ALL cars that are street legal in the UK - irrespective of speed - (e.g. I couldn't even get out of the car and push it over the bumps without causing damage to the front and rear spoilers or intercooler pipes!!!) :rolleyes:

Thermo,

What would be a typical make/model of car you would drive in the police force?

The reason I ask is that near me the traffic cars are much bigger and stronger examples than the sportscar above. Typically they are Volvo's R/Rovers, and big BMW's. In short they are built like the proverbial BS houses.

Would you attempt this in the spoilered example above, if it was your own? :)

Idon't mind the speed bumps/humps, i mean say your bored on night and your looking for some action just go to a sign which says ( humps 350yards ) :LOL:

paulbrown said:
Thermo,

What would be a typical make/model of car you would drive in the police force?

The reason I ask is that near me the traffic cars are much bigger and stronger examples than the sportscar above. Typically they are Volvo's R/Rovers, and big BMW's. In short they are built like the proverbial BS houses.

Would you attempt this in the spoilered example above, if it was your own? :)
South Yorkshire police use high-powered Volvo estate cars with all the bells and whistles (literally ;) ). And I was watching a TV show last night which involved SYP, and the copper was there driving an unmarked high-powered sports car to keep up with the car theives! Their panda cars are new Ford Focuses and Peugeot 206's.

from memory i drove the following (sure there was more)

pegeuot 405,406, 206

ford sierra, mondeo, saloon and estate

volvo t5,

rover 216, 416, metro (dont laugh)

various bmw and a merc

land rovers, discoveries and mavericks

daf (they were graet, 3 litre engines, substandard brakes and doors that fell off) and merc carriers

would i try it in my own car, no as it would mean speeding, but ive been in a follow where we after a motorbike and we actually went airborne in a 406 as we went over one of those things ( i wasnt driving and its actually on tape on the force radio of me saying "F££K ME WERE AIRBOURNE" during the commentry). Had it checked out and there was not a single bit of damage afterwards.

Most people will brake before they get to them which throws the balance causing the front to go lower. If you hit them with a trailing throttle to keep the balance, theres a bump but you can accelerate away as your over them. thats how we were taught to get over them quick.

Thermo I think you misunderstood my question. I didn't want an Itemised list. I meant the actual ones that you drove at 50 over a speed hump.

would i try it in my own car, no as it would mean speeding,

It was speeding the first time. ;)

Let me put it another way. Would you drive the above sportscar at 50 mph over a road hump on private land if the car belonged to you?

paul i didnt misunderstand the question, probably driven all of them over them at that sort of speed at some time. Best ones to do it in were the carriers, as all the guys in the back got bounced off their seats.

would i drive a sports car over 50 over a hump, probably yes, but not a jet powered car :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back