Invisibly fixed shelving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having bought the perfect shelves, we just have to fit them now.

Ideally, I'd like to get them onto the wall without any bracket showing, as they'll be at eye level and any fixing supporting the shelf will be seen.

I wondered if there was a way to use dowels by, say, drilling holes into the shelf, inserting and gluing the dowels into the shelf and inserting the other end of the dowel into the wall - although how to fix it that end is the problem.

The shelves are shaped in cubes, so whichever method used can be duplicated on the lower part of the cube, as well as the top, so strength shouldn't be an issue (and they're for very light use, anyway).

Any ideas, please?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Here's the answer I posted on another forum for brick or block walls use metal rod or studding and injection resin that can be got from screwfix etc and drill a suitable hole in from the back of the shelf:

Fitted a couple of floating shelves today, the principal is the same just use a few more fixings:

c90.jpg

The shelves were laminated from 12mm oak veneered MDF with a layer of 12mm MR MDF in the ctr, just right for the 12mm bars. The bit of CLS in the background was drilled on the drill press to use as a jig to get the holes square & level. 4No 12mm black mild steel rods(cheaper than studding), diamond core drill for tiles and 31/64th drill gave a better fit than my 12mm lip & spur drill

c91.jpg

Studs were placed in the correct position when I built the wall, so just drilled the tile & studs and set the bars with a drop of gripfill. Did manage to hit a drywall screw :(

c92.jpg

Finished shelves, Will post the whole bathroom/ bedroom/dressing room when its all done but if you want a look (big pics not resized yet)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Clareville rd/

Jason

Thanks for your help with that, Jason.

Did you buy the rods cut to size or by the metre (for example) and cut them yourself?

If so, were they from Screwfix?

Cheers.

Nice job there Jason, I'm thinking would the threaded stud might be more advantage with the gripfill bonded to the thread, just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I've not been back to answer.

I did cut the bar to length but you can buy short lengths of studding (threaded rod) from Screwfix

Masona, the studding would give a better grip to gripfill and definatly resin, as I was going into studwork the bars were vertually a friction fit so only used a dab of gripfill to be sure. When fixing to brick/block I would drill say a 14mm hole for 12mm studding so the bond needs to be good.

The harder part is if you have a solid shelf and need to drill the stud holes from the back, again a slightly loose hole will take up any errors in alignment.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back