ip4x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , when fitting a consumer unit and entering through the top with the wires how do you abide by the ip4x rule , even when being as carefull as i can with the knock outs i still end up having to use decorators caulk on it (it makes it look a right mess)

Sponsored Links
ditto.

You could also raise an intumescent board on 2 pillars and bring in cable through the rear

Blank grommets with as small as possible hole cut in the middle.

Sponsored Links
Caulk, mastic and blind grommets can't be used on the top of the board for IP4x. Using box trunking or coming in from behind, as already mentioned, will do the job.

Caulk, mastic and blind grommets can't be used on the top of the board for IP4x.
:?: All of those will prevent the passage of solid objects not less than 1.0mm across... :?:
Maybe, but they won't pass an NIC inspection. Probably because caulk and mastic can easily be pushed in or lose its stickiness. As for blind grommets, it probably depends on how well you do it, but I have been advised by NIC not to use them on top of the board.

Only if made for T&E. Most glands are designed for round cable.

Maybe, but they won't pass an NIC inspection.
My apologies - I hadn't realised that NICEIC have different ingress protection rules to the rest of the known universe.

Probably because caulk and mastic can easily be pushed in or lose its stickiness.
OOI, do the tests for IP rating specify a maximum force that something has to resist?

As for blind grommets, it probably depends on how well you do it, but I have been advised by NIC not to use them on top of the board.
:rolleyes:

Only if made for T&E. Most glands are designed for round cable.
And even the ones with T/E shaped holes aren't available for larger cables, AFAIK.

I worked for NIC approved companies for over 10 years, and have never heard of any of these rules they have supposedly invented.

As long as it complied with the big yellow / brown / red book they were happy.

Maybe there is one inspector who is over zealous, but ours has never mentioned anything like that at all.

They do recommend the Ze on a TT is <100&#8486;, but aslong as it is in accordance with BS7671, they couldn't kick you out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back