iPhone USB lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe useful to some one on DIYnot.
My iPhone USB charger lead failed. Went to Carphone Warehouse/Apple as the Phone is under contract. They wanted £15 for a new one as warranty is only 3 months.
Went to Poundland and bought the identical lead for £1.
Just thought if anyone on here has a similar problem, as these leads are flimsy and vulnerable, save yourself £14 and go to Poundland.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be the VERY SAME, but point taken.

I thought most charging leads were pretty much standard these days, with USB at one end and micro USB at the other.

I have the same lead for my Samsung, Nexus and Motorola.

They certainly look identical. The problem with Apple is that they use a different connector at the device end. Like you , I have numerous USB-micro USB connectors, but these are incompatible for iPhone. Apple charging £15 for the lead is typical of Apple, they tie you in to their devices and screw you for the replacement.
I reckon this connector from Poundland is the same Chinese manufacturer that Apple get them from for about 10p but Apple screw you where ever they can.

Sponsored Links
SHOCK HORROR - We have another Ar$e Hole on the site.
Some people just can't help it I suppose.

There was an article in the news about cheap phones chargers not long back, to save me linking to every site just google 'iphone chargers exploding' :eek: :confused:

There was an article in the news about cheap phones chargers not long back, to save me linking to every site just google 'iphone chargers exploding' :eek: :confused:

The £1 thingy from Poundland was not a charger , it was the USB - iPhone lead.

The cables can be crap too. A bad cable probablly won't burn your house down but it may well slow down charging considerablly.

But for £15 from CPW you were getting a charger as well, not just a lead so not really comparing apples with apples are we

But for £15 from CPW you were getting a charger as well, not just a lead so not really comparing apples with apples are we

Yes we are comparing Apples with Apples. The £15 price from Carphone Warehouse was just for the Lead.

I think that's typical of Apple. Be it phones or computers, they happily overcharge. Yes, their products are good quality, but nothing you can't get from other manufacturers at lower prices.

Yes we are comparing Apples with Apples. The £15 price from Carphone Warehouse was just for the Lead.

Well in that case please accept my apologies, £15 for a cable is taking the P, although looking at it any USB to micro USB lead would work so why people think they need apple leads is beyond me, having said that i bet your £1 lead fails before a better quality one does

Sponsored Links
Back