Ipod nano

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As Xmas is around the corner (cue xmas lights) my daughter wants an Ipod nano. What do you think of them? Can you use MP3, WMA, etc file formats on it? Whats the battery life like?

Any comments welcome

Sponsored Links
i was half listenting to a sky+ progtoday (not my house) and on the gadget show i think he said the problem with the iphone (I know you said ipod nano, but read on) is that you have to download tunes from itunes, but "mp3 players" you don't, also you cant take the battery out

they were comparing a nokia phone with the new iphone

the nokia won

but like i said i was only half listening

Yeh, the wife recorded that for me as I've just got a N95 and it was good to see that it gave the Iphone a good thrashing :D :D

That prog is also what prompted my Q, I just can't beleive that the Ipod can only 'read' Itune tracks though and would like some clarification on that point in particular.

Noz,

You can only use iTunes to organise the ipod nano (actually thats not strictly true but without a lot of faffing about it is true for most people). So to load music onto it you have to import that music into iTunes and then fill the iPod.

That doesn't mean that it won't play normal mp3s, it will quite happily. And iTunes is a perfectly usable bit of software.

I have a 2nd Gen ipod Nano, mainly because it was the easiest way to play copy protected Audible content, but I have to admit its a desirable gadget too :)

Generally I've found very few downsides with it - its tiny, the battery life is good (albeit its not easily changeable when it wears out) and the price was pretty good.

I haven't seen the new ipod nano in the flesh yet, but I doubt it will be any worse.

disclaimer: Other opinions are available ;)

Sponsored Links
Actually, I've been thinking about the N95 as my next phone, how have you found it? I had a N70 before on Orange and replaced it with a 'simpler' Sony Ericsson because it just kept crashing, needing reboots etc and didn't work properly as a phone (which is kinda the point!)

Thanks for alaying my fears, I though that I'd only be able to put 'paid for' music on it that has been downloaded from the Itune website, but as you can use MP3 etc that will be good.

N95, I have only had it a week and have upto now found it to be a good phone. Phone works well, camera/video is exellent, in built GPS needs subscription but is quite accurate, internet features are quite good, music player is good (stereo speakers - good volume). Have found that although you can put tomtom on it, it cannot use the internal GPS as yet so you would have to get a blootooth GPS unit.

You will prob find if you get on that you will need an unlimited web access package and it also needs charging every night (possibly every second). I have found that even with a 2Gb micro sd card in it that it occasionally still says that there is not enough memory to run an application.

It will also connect to W-lan networks.

As I have not had a phone with this many features before I am still a little bit overwhelmed with it at the moment.

Hope that helps

I got the Gen 3 8Gb Nano and is great bit of kit...

Fully loaded using iTunes there is currently circa 1700+tracks on it,

In terms of functionality I dont think there is much difference to the Gen 2, only appearance and size.

Only gripe I have at the moment is struggling to find a protective cover for it.

Some great deals at the moment with the Gen 2 as it is being replaced by the newer 3.

As stated above - iPods will play any MP3s, whether you've bought them or ripped them from your own CDs.

They won't play WMA or WMV files, but iTunes will convert those for you if you wish.

One thing to watch out for is that iTunes is not set to rip music to MP3 by default, so if you want to be able to play your ripped files in other players, then you'll need to select MP3 as the default format.

I've used an iPod/iTunes for nearly two years now and have never bought anything from the iTunes store. You can access the store via iTunes if you need to, but iTunes works fine as a stand-alone program, pretty much like Media Player.

Cheers guys, I can now get one for my daughter. I think that I might get it from the Apple website as they are the same price as anywhere else, but they will also laser engrave the rear for free!!

Amazon were cheaper for the 2nd Gen Nanos the last time I looked - not sure about the latest models.

I just wish that we could get her a 2g nano, but we wouldn't live it down if we did...... 3g only I'm afraid!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back