IQ and E mails etc

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Hmm? Do what? Sorry, I was just replying to an e-mail. ;)

I haven't worked in the pre-e-mail era, but e-mail is a genuine cause of distraction. I have noticed, however, in general older people are more immune. For instance, I will often receive 20 e-mails from friends saying "So what are we doing for lunch today?". Then there is a 2 hour argument over whether Subway sandwiches are worth the premium. But, the guy opposite me (60-odd) gets a single phonecall from one of his mates who will decide what pub they all go to. Much quicker, much less kerfuffle.

If you have a team with a wide spectrum of ages, those of us at the more spritely end see the PC as the fountain of all that is and ever will be. E-mails are on it, we do our work on it, if we need to do a bit of research then we search the internet/intranet on it.

However, the real old dogs often treat the PC as something that has to be tolerated. They use it, but they would rather not.

Then, in the middle you have a curious mix, including people who really do want to use the PC as much as the sprites do, but with the speed and ability of the old dogs. :LOL:

AdamW said:
Hmm? Do what? Sorry, I was just replying to an e-mail. ;)

I haven't worked in the pre-e-mail era, but e-mail is a genuine cause of distraction.

I have ;)
We did all our 'talking' and chatting near the coffee vending machine (after the Directors stopt the receptionist pooring us all coffee during the day;)

Then pc's and internal email were introduced: I remember sending my boss (his desk 4 feet away for my desk) numerous emails about issues on a daily basis and him replying to all of them.
Oh and we always tried to include as many other colleagues in the cc as we could to prevent anybody being missed out on an 'important' issue.
How we got some work done in the day I still don't know
:p :oops: :p :oops:

AdamW said:
I haven't worked in the pre-e-mail era, but e-mail is a genuine cause of distraction.
I suppose it's no difference with mobile text, how did they cope before?

That all you see now people with mobile stuck to their head, what the first thing people do when going straight home, check the answer phone, mobile text message then the flipping e-mail :)

I went in a taxi the other day and couldn't understand while the driver couldn't drive straight, he was using text message between his leg, I give up!

So why is everything important with messages?

Sponsored Links
I have this friend who for the 7 years I have known him, always has been a mobile-phone lover.

He will answer his mobile, but then blinker out the rest of the world, infuriatingly for those with him or around him. It makes you feel like you might as well not be there (and usually would rather not). He has one of those loud carrying voices too, so everyone looks round. So embarassing.

If you are at someone's desk it is easy to say "Come and see me when you are finished", but when you are down the pub or in a shop you can't really just wander off. We have tried telling him, but he never stops. And quite often he neglects to tone his conversation to the surroundings, as you will see from some of his classics:

1) Inviting someone down the pub, answering his phone as they sat down, and talking for an hour. After he finished his call, it was time to leave.

2) Very loudly describing what he would like to do to a very pretty girl we had met, to a third party on the other end of his phone. On a packed train out of King's Cross. The words "until she bleeds" were used. People did not look happy. :eek:

3) Getting left behind at the top of Mount Snowdon. After him being on the phone for half an hour we all got bored and started to make our way down. "HELLOOOOOOO! I'M ON A MOUNTAIN! NAH, IT'S RUBBISH!"

4) Standing in a non-sex-oriented area of Soho, after we had just bought an inflatable doll as a joke present for our mate's 21st. He shouted down the phone "Yeh, I've just bought an inflatable Hustler Slut Sex Doll. Yeah, s'brilliant! Apparently it's got a realistic vagina and everything!". Kids were present. :eek:

5) I had asked for his opinion on a kitchen, but by the time he got to the shed I had decided it was rubbish. But before I could say "Let's go down the road to MFI" he was in a call. So I had to sit in the kitchen section of Focus for THIRTY MINUTES whilst he blabbed down his phone. :rolleyes:

However, I am sure there are much worse offenders than he. Texting taxi-drivers never get a tip from me, a tip is for good service not endangering life. I've seen Parisiens texting on mopeds. I have sometimes wondered, there must be a number of people killed each year due to a motorist texting. How selfish of the offenders to put the safety of those around them in second place to their "Nvr gess wot, dave shgd shazza last nite! cu l8r m8, tracy"

The CC box in e-mail can be an issue for sure. I have spent 1 minute writing an e-mail, and 5 minutes trying to decide who should receive it or not. CC-box politics, I'm sure there is a PhD thesis in it!

Julie
would you describe Dave as a "New man" or is he a chauvinist? does he cook,hoover,wash-up etc., i'm only asking so that I've got something to use against him should I need it in the future
!! :D only joking :D

Richardp said:
Julie
would you describe Dave as a "New man" or is he a chauvinist? does he cook,hoover,wash-up etc., i'm only asking so that I've got something to use against him should I need it in the future
!! :D only joking :D

Hi Richard

I guess I should really say that Dave doesn't do any housework, we just get our fillipino 'girl' to do that (only joking!!!)

I wouldn't call him a 'new man' or a 'a chauvinist' - I think you need to brace yourself as you are about to learn some interesting facts about Dave!

1) As he is semi retired he does all the washing up, hoovering, a lot of the cooking and most of the shopping (in fact he is cooking my tea at the moment) as I work quite long hours
2) He is an avid fan of indian food and is well known by the lads at the local takeaway
3) We got married in Jamaica and had a couple of the 'locals' as witnesses
4) He isn't really racist - just winds you lot up!!
5) He has helped me take clothes etc some patients who are disadvantaged (one lady was a refugee from Zimbabwe she was alone in this Country, pregnant and HIV positive)
6) We recently had 4 gay men at our house for dinner (they didn't taste very nice :LOL:) who are colleages of mine. Dave was the perfect host, absolutely PC! - although I did have a hairy moment when he opened the door and said 'Julie there's 4 puffs without a piano at the door, shall I let them in'!!!

I guess the only thing I could say that does drive me mad is when he's on this forum involved in a heated debate - it kind of takes over his life (I suppose this is the same for all of you though!)

Julie

Ah! I knew Dave wasnt as bad as he makes himself out to be but hell! I cant let my misses see this or she'll expect me to do the same :D hows about a picture of him as a baby for us to have a giggle at :D Hmm! second thoughts maybe not :D all the best to you.

AWWW .. Poor old Dave !! The image has been shattered ... Says I, as I scoot off to do the washing up !! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back