IR testing a USB socket.

How much power do the use when not charging anything?

Not measurable with my wattmeter, so less than 1watt.
So annual running cost less than £1. Take a long time for an FCU to be cost effective!

Sponsored Links
If they can demonstrate conformity then I'd be surprised if they didn't mention them. The absence of a claim to conform to BS 1363 or BS EN 62680 seems suspicious to me.
Will they consequently not be allowed on a ring final?

Sponsored Links
Will they consequently not be allowed on a ring final?
Indeed - I've already raised that question. As stillp has said, they presumably would not be allowed on a ring final in at least one house :)

However, we await hearing from freddo (or anyone else) as to whether or not they actually bear a BS1363 marking, even though it is apparently not mentioned in teh documentation.

Kind Regards, John

Although the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 require "Standard plugs; sockets with which standard plugs may be engaged" to conform to BS 1363, they also except "Any plug, socket or adaptor which incorporates any other electrical device (other than a F fuse link, switch or indicator light)" from that requirement.

Although the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 require "Standard plugs; sockets with which standard plugs may be engaged" to conform to BS 1363, they also except "Any plug, socket or adaptor which incorporates any other electrical device (other than a F fuse link, switch or indicator light)" from that requirement.
Ah, so does that mean that I was right when I suggested that these accessories may not be within the scope of BS1363?

If so, as we've both said, that presumably means that at least one of us won't be able to connect such things to their ring final :)

Kind Regards, John

Ah, so does that mean that I was right when I suggested that these accessories may not be within the scope of BS1363?
No, that means that they are not covered by the requirement in the Plugs & Sockets regs to conform to BS1363.

No, that means that they are not covered by the requirement in the Plugs & Sockets regs to conform to BS1363.
I suppose that's what I really meant. If those regs do not require compliance with BS1363, then some manufactures may not bother to test for compliance with BS1363, and therefore could not declare compliance therewith ... leaving BAS unable to connect them to his ring final!

Kind Regards, John

Or, more likely, the USB parts fail when the socket-outlet is subjected to the temperature rise test of BS 1363.

Or, more likely, the USB parts fail when the socket-outlet is subjected to the temperature rise test of BS 1363.
I suppose so, but that would be more than a little 'naughty'! Furthermore, as I wrote last night, it seems that at least three other (one might say 'lesser') manufacturers feel that they can claim BS1363 compliance for such items, and it would be rather odd if MK had managed to produce 'USB parts' which were less thermally tolerant than theirs.

In any event, is there anything in the BS1363 temperature rise test which says that the test is not 'passed' if some component of the product unrelated to the socket outlets 'fails' during the temp-rise test??

Kind Regards, John

Not specifically, BS1363 doesn't deal with "some component of the product unrelated to the socket outlets".

Not specifically, BS1363 doesn't deal with "some component of the product unrelated to the socket outlets".
That's what I thought, so I presume your suggestion of "the USB parts fail when the socket-outlet is subjected to the temperature rise test of BS 1363" would not prevent the manufacturer claiming compliance with BS1363 (if it passed the temp-rise test, and other required tests), even if the test had killed the 'USB parts'??

Kind Regards, John

But then it would be unfit for one of the purposes for which it was sold.
Indeed - which is why I find your suggested explanation (for the absence of declared BS1363 compliance) to be extremely improbable!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back