Iron Newel Post Cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, first post and I'm looking for help! A little cheeky I know, sorry!

I'm looking for a newel post cap for a set of straight stairs I'm having built.

Our house is an old cottage and the stairs we're having built are going to be rustic plank pine, using wax for colouring. All spindles are to be made of wrought iron and so ideally I'd like to find a wrought iron newel cap, preferably a bal shape. I've tried scouring the net but I've not found much other than caps for iron fences, where the square base slots into the hollow post. Can any help or make any suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links
Any ironwork fabricator will be able to make up a plate and fit one of the commercial balls to it, look in yellow pages etc for railings/fence/gate fabricators or an artistic blacksmith could do the whole thing but at a price.

Can't whoever is doing the spindles fabricate something?

Also I doubt your spindles will be wrought iron more likely black mild steel.

Jason

shady - I don't know where you are based but if near London you can get this stuff from The Cast Iron Shop (it's near Pentonville Prison in N.London) or google - railing heads or finials for your local supplier or mail order. Finials are available as both male & female fixing. If you want something even more extravagant than the loads of designs available then any decent blacksmith will be able make you an iron ball.

A further consideration for you ... rust prevention of the finished balustrading whilst retaining that burnished iron look. First, vigourous wire brushing to create the look, warm-up the ironwork with a blowlamp, rub with a candle to melt on a little wax - use the blowlamp to 'steer' the wax into the intricate crannies of the design, when cold buff with a lint-free cloth. Obviously, this should be done before the balustrading is assembled on the staircase (outside maybe or put sheets down to catch any wax drips). This traditional method, IMO (& from experience) looks superior to a lacquered finish.

Sponsored Links
Hi, me again.

Thanks very much for the advice. I've taken the notes on the rust proofing.

Still looking for the ideal newel cap, but thanks for the suggestion.

The stairs are all but finished now, but I need to consider how to treat the wood for the required finish.

I guess I'll post another question!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back