Is a bolted down post holder as strong as cemented in one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect it isn't but is as strong to replace this old post with gate on it with bolted down one or should I dig down feet and cement it? Gonna swing gate off it.
IMG-20200813-WA0001.jpg
20200815_191645.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd definitely be digging down, especially with the weight of a gate on the post.

Also, put a "lintel" between the tops of the gateposts on each side to brace them to each other. It will resist the long-term lean that a gate causes. Raise them enough that you do not knock your head.

If you can get a piece long enough to brace them to the fenceposts to each side of the gate, it will hold them even better. You may find a length of decking board to do the job.

hook and band hinges are better for a gate than "T" or butts.

Concrete spurs or posts will last very much longer than bits of wood in the ground. You old posts will probably snap when you try to remove or staighten them. If not too rotten, you may be able to jack them out. Digging out old posts set in concrete is a job that a sensible man will vow never to repeat.

If you pour the concrete for the posts at the same time as a "doorstep" all in one piece, it will help hold the posts rigid by spreading the load.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thick concrete! Had to use my breaker with metal pole. Out of interest how do cut a nice sized hole around post rather than smashing the hell out of concrete and possibly causing cracks through it. This is my mate's garden and he doesn't care but would be good to know.

Cutting down a panel was a nightmare too. When u take off the baton and try to cut it with a jigsaw the thin unsecured wood on fence panel shakes so much you cant cut it.
20200816_161550.jpg
20200816_194656.jpg
20200816_200720.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back