Is a built in oven - matched to carcase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen a few posts on wanting to use oven and hob on the orignal supply for a stand alone unit. Should the fuse/MCB open unlikely a hob would overheat but what about the oven?

Every oven must have a set amount of material so able to store a set amount of energy, so should the supply fail would heat up without cooling fans to a set maximum temperature. The more material in the oven the higher this temperature is likely to reach so each oven would be different.

Now I have not seen anything with my parents carcase to give maximum temperature of a oven without a cooling fan i.e. power has failed. Or on the oven the maximum temperature it will reach should after 5 hours cooking Turkey the power should fail.

Mine is a stand alone so I have no details with that and one would hope Belling have thought of what will happen with a power failure. But where two different manufacturers make the oven and carcase how does one know if they match?

Sponsored Links
Eric, this is information from 30 years ago when I was building and oven into a DIY carcase so may be out of date. The advice from the oven manufacturer was that the hottest temperature in their ovens was far lower than the ignition point of MDF, chip board and solid timber. So even if the power failed when the oven was at its hottest there was no fire risk but discolouration of the surround could happen.

I have to say while modern ovens are not so well built they do seem to be limited to temperatures below the ignition point of carcases.

Of course a faulty thermostat could result in an over heated oven and that could create a hazard if power to the cooling fans failed when the oven was over heated.

All domestic appliances must conform to strict standards, it used to be BEAB (British Electrical Approvals Board), there will probably be an EU one know.
The appliance will be tested to failure & must not fail so as to cause potential danger to life.
This is why appliances must be installed as per the manufacturers instructions.

Thanks both so from what you both say any carcase with any oven should fail safe?

I had an argument with the local council as they told my mother to switch off the oven at the FCU once the cooking was complete. From what you say I need to apologise for getting upset at this directive?

Sponsored Links
I had an argument with the local council as they told my mother to switch off the oven at the FCU once the cooking was complete. From what you say I need to apologise for getting upset at this directive?

Not at all. It may not be a fire risk, but it will do no good for the lifetime of the oven.

Not any oven with any carcass, the carcass needs to meet the specification of the appliance manufacture.
Things like fridges/freezers/microwaves also need to be fitted in the correct housing, there must be sufficient air flow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back