Is a Hormann push switch just a door bell button?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved into a house which has a Hormann garage door and opener.. i want to add a “manual” switch but am not sure if i have to buy theirs, or whether its just a standard momentary switch like a door bell.

Does anyone know if i can simply short the terminals to operate the door?

Sponsored Links
I removed a Hormann garage door once, and it seemed to have a button which looked like a doorbell. I'm pretty sure you can get the Hormann ones for about £15, so not bank breaking if you went down the official route.

Cheers.. For £15 I would get the official one (although the one I fitted before was HORRIBLE as it was really hard to press and it was impossible to know if you had activated it)...

But the cheapest I have found is more like £35.. And they appear to be out of stock too...

All I need to do is pluck up the courage to short the pins and see if it cycles the door.. I am willing to bet it will.. But if I am wrong it could be a costly mistake should the short blow something in the unit.

By the way, the model is a SupraMatic E2 if that helps anyone.

My roller garage door came with two wireless remote controls, but the PCB mounted buttons were not as positive as the could be, so I added a sprung to centre toggle switch to each - centre off, up for up, down for down. One I put near the back door and one in the car, a third one would have been handy in the garage itself, so I added a wired to the controller switches rather than wireless.....

I mounted three normally open push button switches, in a small plastic box - up, down and stop, which I fixed on the wall.

Sponsored Links
My roller garage door came with two wireless remote controls, but the PCB mounted buttons were not as positive as the could be, so I added a sprung to centre toggle switch to each - centre off, up for up, down for down. One I put near the back door and one in the car, a third one would have been handy in the garage itself, so I added a wired to the controller switches rather than wireless.....

I mounted three normally open push button switches, in a small plastic box - up, down and stop, which I fixed on the wall.

Interesting. I am not sure I have the option have one switch for up.. And one for down.. I just have a single pair of contacts, so it just cycles the door up or down.

I am interested in your other comment about using the up and down buttons on the remote.. I hate the fact that you use the same button to go up/stop/down.. I wonder if there is a way to use the extra buttons on the remote so one goes up.. and the other down...

I am going to look into that.

I think I am just going to stick a bit of wire in the contacts and touch them together and see what happens.. Whats the worse that could happen :)

Wow, that’s a crazy price. Sorry, I didn’t pay 15, it was £21 delivered.

I’m guessing they’re low on stock at the moment, but the prices should go the other way as I can’t believe that’s just inflation since October
881327CC-439D-4FB9-A295-62D40EFC86E6.png

:) Thats the one.. "Currently Unavailable" on Amazon.. Out of stock most places.. Those that have it want almost £40...

I found an email for Hormann.. They told me that a push switch is fine.. So I am going to test it.. I think I am overthinking this.. A simple short on a pair of wires will almost certainly trigger the door.

check the voltage. Bell pushes are often insulated for 12v or something

but you can get mains voltage ones.

Are there just two wires? A "momentary" switch is what you want.

put a durable label on it.

you can get illuminated ones but you need to know the voltage

Yes.. Just 2 wires.. But the logo on the board seems to imply that the switch is held by a relay...

After some research I am 99% sure that a simple press button is all I need... So I am going to do some tests.

WHat do you mean by "durable label"?

Jon

All sorted.. I just put a pair of wires in the contact and dabbed them together and door goes down.. Again and it stops.. And a 3rd time it goes up.. .

So this is a non-issue.. Any push switch rated at 24v will do the job... Thanks all.

I am interested in your other comment about using the up and down buttons on the remote.. I hate the fact that you use the same button to go up/stop/down.. I wonder if there is a way to use the extra buttons on the remote so one goes up.. and the other down...

I am going to look into that.

In that case, probably you cannot do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back