Is a power flush essential when replacing a boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at replacing my 17 year old Worcester combi, with an A rated combi.

Was under the impression that not to power flush at this point would be foolish. But the engineer who's quoting me doesn't have the equipment to power flush and claimes that putting flushing fluid in for 2 weeks before would be fine.

I'd rather not spend all that money if it could be detrimental not to power flush

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Opinions vary on this.

We only install boilers (dont do plumbing etc) and wherever technically possible we will powerflush.

I will turn down a boiler replacement if a customer wont let us make the correct preparation.

In order for you to make a decision, it is important tounderstand how a powerflush works. It has a huge pump, and when each rad is subjected to this pump individually, turbulence is created, which together with the chemicals and heat, scours the rad.

In contrast, putting a chemical in the water, leaving all the rads open and running it will achieve almost nothing.

I guess a good analogy would be putting dirty clothes in a hot wash setting in a washing machine, or leaving them to soak overnight in the sink.

A cheapo powerflusher is better than nothing, since they only cost £350 i would have to question the commitment of your expert.

It's pretty useful to use common sense.
Drain the system and see what the water comes out like.
If it is very dirty then a flush would be adviseable.
If it comes out clean then a flush would be a waste of money.

Sponsored Links
I have a power flushing machine and it rarely gets used.

power-flushing is not an requirement at install, is an extra that may or may not be needed. mains flush is often just as good (if not better depending of mains pressure and flow rates).

you only need to clean your system. how you get there does not matter only that it is done.

the way I do it is fit dirt tolerant boilers in the first place. strong cleaning chemicals in the system after I installed the boiler and put full bore flush valve on the flow and return so I can mains flush both ways. may add a filter if the system warrants it.

but must be 100% clear! you dont have to use powerflushing...its only a means to and end

... But the engineer who's quoting me doesn't have the equipment to power flush and claimes that putting flushing fluid in for 2 weeks before would be fine.
Chemical cleanser won't do anything unless the system is running, so that is rather dubious advice unless the job won't be done for at least two months.

... But the engineer who's quoting me doesn't have the equipment to power flush and claimes that putting flushing fluid in for 2 weeks before would be fine.
Chemical cleanser won't do anything unless the system is running, so that is rather dubious advice unless the job won't be done for at least two months.

Well he did say i'd have to have the heating on for a bit each day for the 2 weeks it's in. As I did question this. Cost me a fortune in gas just to shove the chemicals around!!

THe cost of the Gas used to heat your system for two weeks would be a LOT less than the cost of a Power flush!!! :rolleyes:

THe cost of the Gas used to heat your system for two weeks would be a LOT less than the cost of a Power flush!!! :rolleyes:

Yes I realise that mr rolly eyes The "!!" ment I was joking. But a power flush is better than chemicals pumped round isn't it, esp as the system is 17 years old with little/no previous maintanance?? :rolleyes:

Also most gas engineers seem to be giving a massive discount if done while fitting a boiler. 1 is even saying free at the moment...

its not free, it is simply worked in to the price.

as for it being better... I dont think it is, to do it right is very very time consuming and the end result is not any better then blasting the mains through the pipework and rads.

also power flushing simply does not work with 8mm/10mm pipe. your better off just taking the rad out side and flushing it.

at the end of the day it a means to an end. if the installer wishes to powerflush to get to that end good for him.

, factor in all the equipment manu's , companys supplying various chemicals , & power flushing is big buissness , it's all 1 particular company do , think there advertising logo has a couple of elephants on it they will even pay installers commision for referals (?) in many cases it is not required , as your system has been sealed any way I doubt there will be much dirt in it ( maybe ?)

As I understand it unlike the UK , inhibitors / chemicals are not used on boiler installs in Germany in sealed systems !!

It is sad to see so much unprofessional advice being given on here.

A powerflush MAY be needed. A CLEAN SYSTEM is essential, and do not go for the 'dirt tolerant' boiler, that's nonsense.

A huge proportion of in-service problems are caused by dirty old heating systems blocking boilers.

, factor in all the equipment manu's , companys supplying various chemicals , & power flushing is big buissness , it's all 1 particular company do , think there advertising logo has a couple of elephants on it they will even pay installers commision for referals (?) in many cases it is not required , as your system has been sealed any way I doubt there will be much dirt in it ( maybe ?)

As I understand it unlike the UK , inhibitors / chemicals are not used on boiler installs in Germany in sealed systems !!

100% correct, little or no inhibitors/chemicals are used in sealed sytems in Germany. Every time I've been to the ISH I always ask the question & I always get the same reply.

We very rarely power flush systems on a boiler change, as there's no need. Just ensure the system water is very, very clean before you fit a new boiler.........We have soft water here in Scotland & that may help - not sure? But I've seen 30 year old system as clean as Nun's knickers!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back