Is a skylight possible with our flatroof design?

you could probably frame between the trusses and fit veluxes in between them.. what are the spacings?

you'd have to build a sort of mini pitched roof on top of the flat one to give the veluxes an angle though.. they're not designed for flat installation as far as I've read..

Sponsored Links
oh joy!!! another chance to play with sketchup.. :)

It's probably possible but will involve quite a bit of wood butchery..

I didn't know the dimensions of your roof so i've just done a rough example..

View media item 23438
1. your roof structure as it is now ( based on the pictures )

View media item 23440
2. center strapping removed and replaced with noggins ( red are noggins, yellow are studs for taking the plasterboard. The yellow can be left out if you decide to make the center dividers out of glass.. a better option for light. )

View media item 23442
3. dark blue is new peak framing ( repeat rest of it mirrored about th blue studs ). orange are new rafters to take the glass or windows. pink is small stud wall to raise the bottom of the glass above the flat roof and allow for flashing etc... purple and yellow are to take the plasterboard.

View media item 23443
4. Light blue framework between the trusses for taking the plasterboard.. set at an angle to allow light to spread.

View media item 23444
5. View from underneath of the light well with the plasterboard on..

as an option, you could ommit the plasterboard in the middle and replace with glass to allow light from either side of the peak to go both sides..

Funky images..

I know of one decent roofer locally..

To add to what ColJack has drawn and to allow for a full roof light you would be better of putting in some steel beams to support cut trusses under the new roof light sides..

An H frame arrangement of steels can be placed in the ceiling area (assuming there is room at the eaves) which supports the cut ends of the trusses each side of the openning.. and new studwork to form the plastered sides..
Legs of the H frame would have to sit on the same walls as the trusses currently sit..

Sizes of steels would depend on spans and size of opening..

Wow thanks for those two options guys, the diagrams certainly do give a good idea of the possibilities. Just to give an idea of scale the truss spacing is at 500mm and the internal room dimensions below are 5.24M from chimney wall to far wall (both load bearing) and 6.46M across (i.e. inline with the trusses)
Static, if it's ok please pass on the details of the local roofer.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back