Is Backer Board recommended for this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've to tile an area that has altro vinyl over a chipboard subfloor. I had initially intended to tile straight onto the altro as it's a relatively clean, uniform surface but was advised by one person to remove the altro, in case it 'came up'.

Well, I had to remove a 600x300mm section in a doorway anyway but ending up having to chisel it up which took around 30 mins! This stuff ain't going anywhere...and there's about 20sqm so I'm intending just leaving it down.

The question is how to proceed - tile straight onto it? Or should I put down backer board first? If backer board, should I use tile adhesive or screws for that?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why not post pics?

Is any damp present?

Is the floor more or less flat & level?

Thanks for the reply Ree - doing some further reading in the meantime, I've gathered backer is recommended where at all possible, so I'm going with that (along with standard practice of adhesive & screws).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back