Is building regulations approval needed for integrated garage ceiling insulation project ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to install some insulation to an integrated garage ceiling + two other ceilings of the adjoining rooms.
The property in question is not located within a conservation area.

The purpose of this insulation project is to improve energy efficiency and thermal performance but I'm not clear on whether building control need to inspect and approve? A picture says a thousand words so I hope the ones I've enclosed here describe the project I've got planned. I have marked in red where I intend the false ceiling and insulation to go.

All three rooms are currently being used as a storage area and there are no plans to make it a habitable space. It is essentially where the services are located (consumer unit/boiler/etc)

All the ceilings are constructed from the usual timber joists. Insulating between the existing joists is an option but the voids are cluttered with services. It seems tidier and more efficient to create a dropped ceiling instead. MF ceiling + insulation. The garage and the other two rooms are only accessible by the garage roller door at the front of the house, which forms the entire footprint of the house itself :

floor plan of the house .jpg

insulation .jpg

floor plan of the house 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
You should just ask building control. My guess is that they'd want a fire-resistant surface over it, e.g. fire-rated plasterboard.

Even if it's not being used as a garage, if it has a garage door then a car could be stored there. There are lots of regulations for integrated garages to prevent the spread of fire from a malfuctioning car. In theory there's already a fire resistant surface there, but putting a layer of foam under it may affect it.

I get your point about obstructions between the joists. But if you're covering it up then it would be a shame not to also stuff some rockwool into the voids while you're at it. It will have gaps but will be loads better than nothing. So you'll then be super-insulated.

Thanks for your sentiments Ivor,

Would FR plasterboard be needed even if the existing joists were insulated excluding a MF ceiling ? Or would the plasterboard be needed with either option ?

Your comment about the prevention of fire from a faulty vehicle is a good one; not something I have actually considered until you said it.

The underside of the existing joist work is crammed with ring circuit cables and some large waste pipes run through there also. However, it's definitely a possibility, just more added cost for the client.

I don't know the specifics of a garage ceiling.

What I do know is that building control don't care what YOU use the building for. If it's got a garage door then it has to be somewhere you can safely store a car, regardless of whether you actually do this. If you were to convert it into a room with a window instead of the door then it would become a room like any other. But if you're keeping it then it must comply with all rules that apply to a garage.

For the same reason, the floor should be lower than the rest of the house. This is to stop a petrol spill flowing into the house, it should run out from under the garage door before it runs into the house. Any internal doors should be fire rated.

Think about it, putting a box containing a load of explosive fuel and electrics is actually a pretty dangerous thing to do. I don't understand why people have electric cars charging under their bedrooms. Personally I think integrated garages were a stupid idea from the start, so I'll be glad to convert ours.

Sponsored Links
BC don't care what you do but they will take any fees you want to gift them.

BC don't care what you do but they will take any fees you want to gift them.

Hi mate. That's all well and good but the paperwork needs to be right in case questions get asked if the property is sold at a later date

Hi mate. That's all well and good but the paperwork needs to be right in case questions get asked if the property is sold at a later date
when you come to sell, you will be presented with the form TA6. That form is a declaration and you have 3 options for answers to each question:
NO. PROVIDE DETAILS..UNKNOWN..you complete the form with UNKNOWN...that's it...done and legal and no questions asked

UNKNOWN is not an honest answer is you do KNOW.

If they later have an issue then they could sue you. In reality it's unlikely though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back