Is c.h. leak seal harmful?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is c.h. leak seal harmful to the boiler and system? Will there be problems in the medium to long term if used?

The manufacturers of leak seal say no. The boiler manufacturers don't approve. Who is right?

How can I tell the stuff apart? I am suspicious that an installer may want to use it in my system under the guise of inhibitor. My system is leaking a little.

Sponsored Links
When it comes to it, it's the manufacturers boiler. If they state it shouldn't be used then they're the ones I'd go with, especially if it's a new install, they're the ones that'll void the warranty.

Thanks for your reply.

If they were to be in a container other than that supplied how do you tell the difference between inhibitor and leak seal?

Is the leak seal more obviously milky/cloudy or can you not tell?

Never having used sealer I couldn't be sure of the difference. Inhibitor is a usually a light straw coloured liquid.

Sponsored Links
Seems you have a choice have the system drained and the leaks repaired properly, or bung in the sealer.

I have never had a problem with leak sealer in systems but they have all been old boilers so it is a cheap repair to get out of trouble. If you have a new boiler under guarantee the proper repair is the way to go really.

Never having used sealer I couldn't be sure of the difference. Inhibitor is a usually a light straw coloured liquid.

Thanks

I am worried about all the upheaval and damage to tiled and new engineered wood floors.

Never ahd a problem, but as said - I haven only used it on older systems.

If your boiler is new then why would you bodge a repair and lose the warranty you have paid for.

It is a sticking plaster. Not a solution to the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back