Is carpet cheaper from here or there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a question that doesn't really go anywhere: do you think carpet is generally cheaper from the big chain stores, or from little independent retailers?

I mean, groceries are nearly always cheaper from big supermarkets than corner shops, but DIY stuff is usually more expensive in B&Q than in my local hardware shop. So which way does it swing with carpets?

Sponsored Links
It depends if you are comparing 'like for like' or if you comparing discounts.

I'd suggest that a good independent will give you better service and product at a better price than a 'Big Shed' however, you won't be looking at as big a 'Saving' on your paperwork.

Eventually I figured out that my independants are all cheaper than CarpetRight. Not so much on the carpet itself, but on underlay and sundries. Their underlay is massively marked up.

Sponsored Links
Eventually I figured out that my independants are all cheaper than CarpetRight. Not so much on the carpet itself, but on underlay and sundries. Their underlay is massively marked up.

I try to explain to customers that on price, it's the figure you are paying for the total job that is important, so long as the product and accessories are comparable/like for like and then, the quality of service and installtion of course.

Retailers need to make a profit, but what they charge should reflect the quality of the goods and services they provide, the 'headline price' of the floorcoverings is not always the best cost to judge the overall installation process on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back