Is caulk like silicone sealant? Am I thick of what...

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I'm a real whizz using silicone sealant and a wet finger.

But what is caulk? I've bought some to fill the gap between new skirting board and my walls. Is caulk the same as silicone sealant? is it the same to apply? does it look the same??

Sponsored Links
Well, I'm no chemist, but I've found that caulk can shrink a little, dries hard, and can be overpainted, so no, it isn't the same as a silicone sealant. Caulk is generally used for filling those little gaps during internal decorating. Silicone sealant is used where a little movement may occur, and a waterproof seal is required.

yeah but what is it? is it shiny like silicon or is it just polyfiller in a tube?

Sponsored Links
Caulk is a water based flexible sealant/filler..its intended to be painted over and shouldnt be used in gaps any wider than about 5-6 mm...much more than that and it will take ages to dry and it will shrink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back