Is CH Pump Knackered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this earlier under a different title, but since then there have been developments which meant the original title was misleading. I've decided to edit & repost with a (hopefully!) better title.

My Mother-in-Law has a small 2 bed bungalow with a Vailant ecoTEC plus 415 open vent condensing boiler.

She has turned the heating on for the first time this week and she rang me to say there is a strange noise coming from the boiler cupboard, like a jet engine!

I went round there this morning and it is noisy in there, although the noise isn't coming from the boiler itself. It sounds like it's coming from the pump and around that area. My guess is that there is a lot of air in the system causing the noise. I have bled every radiator, but hardly any air came out. There are lots of cool areas on each rad, and bleeding them has made no difference, so something isn't right.

I had a look through the manuals, trying to find a way of getting rid of the air. In the service manual under 'Test Programs' there is a Bleeding Test Program. I tried to do this, but 'HP' kept flashing on the display, which I'm guessing means high pressure. In the book it says the cap on the Automatic Air Vent must be loosened. Thing is, I don't know where the Auto Air Vent is.

That's where I was this morning, but she rang again to say the radiators aren't getting warm at all now, so I went round there again and had another look.

Now, when the stat is turned on, none of the radiators will warm up at all. The pump is still (noisily) running and the radiator symbol on the boiler is on.

The status display on the boiler also shows S.98 - according to the manual this is: FLOW/RETURN SENSOR CHECK IS RUNNING, DEMAND (DHW OR HEATING) IS BLOCKED

This status is displayed even when the heating is on or off.

The status symbol then changed to S.54 - APPLIANCE IS WITHIN THE WAITING PERIOD OF THE OPERATION BLOCK FUNCTION DUE TO WATER SHORTAGE (TEMPERATURE GRADIENT).

Also, the radiator symbol is displayed on the boiler even when the heating is turned off on the Honeywell programmer/controller.

The noise that the pump is making is kind of a grinding noise. Is it possible the pump is knackered and isn't pushing the water round the system?

I'm a bit confused as to whats going on as not of it seems to made any sense logically. Can anyone shed any light on it all?

The pump is a Circulating Pumps CP53.

[/i]

Sponsored Links
No, I didn't. Thanks for the suggestion Daniel. I'll have a check.

If one or both are empty, what effect is this having on the system? I just want to get my head round what's going on.

It's only the one tank. The smaller one if you have two. The other is the cold water supply to bathroom and cylinder.

When purging HP will flash whilst it is running through the purge process.

It does sound like the pump is causing the problem. The symptoms are certainly indicative of this. However it could be a sludge build up that has caused a blockage. How old is the boiler? Was it power flushed during the installation.
I think you should call your plumber/heating engineer

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

The boiler was installed about five years ago as part of the government Warm Front campaign. I have no idea what other work was done at the same time, though.

Right, I've just been round there (luckily she just lives 2 minutes away!), and there is water in the tank in the loft.

Thanks for the reply.

The boiler was installed about five years ago as part of the government Warm Front campaign. I have no idea what other work was done at the same time, though.

Wow! You've been very lucky. At least they installed a decent boiler. Most warmfront jobs i see need a new pcb as they have an ideal icos/isar installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back