Clanking Noises - pump, kettling or something else? Vaillant Ecotec+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant ecotec plus, some years old, recently serviced, seemingly running well.

Very occasionally there is a problem - you can here a clanking from the radiators, about 2 or 3 bangs a second. The noise seems to come more from the radiators than inside the boiler. I took the front off the boiler carefully to listen whether it obviously came from anywhere, e.g. the pump, which I see elsewhere can be a bit unreliable on this boiler. But the noise is loudest from the nearest radiator to the boiler.

Videos:

Interestingly I've noticed once or twice that when I turn on the tap, turn it off, and the boiler goes through its steps to change back to heating, the lcd displays the "pump running" symbol and "C" for the fact gas is not burning because the water is warm enough, the "pump running" symbol goes off as the boiler does whatever it does, and the noise happens briefly (2 bangs) as the pump symbol comes back on (but no flames.)

On the occasions when the noise is continuous, it seems to happen when the flames are on, and when it is happening if I turn down the CH dial on the boiler, the noise stops when the flames go out, BUT the pump is still running according to the LCD display, with "C" displayed to say the water is warm enough.

Is this the pump? Or kettling? Or something else perhaps? I can't upload a video to this site, which is a pity as I made them.

I'm quite keen to get opinions as this is rather occasional I'd like to be well informed when getting someone in.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back